gas grill ain't right, repair?
(05-30-2018, 06:19 AM)EricU Wrote: I can't tell what's going on.  Seems like I hear a click when I turn on the gas tank, so I figure that's probably the safety moving.  If so, it's really sensitive on this tank.  Going out of town today, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

Borrow another tank and see what it does.  Try turning the tank on very slowly with the burner valves closed.   Roly
Burner valves are closed.  Although, when I turn on the tank, I smell gas. Maybe I have a leak.

Am I right that the click is the safety going on? I suppose it could be the regulator.  Guess I could answer that myself by turning the tank on without the hose connected.
(05-30-2018, 07:42 AM)Roly Wrote: Borrow another tank and see what it does.  Try turning the tank on very slowly with the burner valves closed.   Roly

Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(05-30-2018, 07:50 AM)EricU Wrote: Burner valves are closed.  Although, when I turn on the tank, I smell gas. Maybe I have a leak.

Am I right that the click is the safety going on? I suppose it could be the regulator.  Guess I could answer that myself by turning the tank on without the hose connected.

The safety is doing what it is supposed to do.   Find the leak.   Roly
I remember having one many years ago that just didn't heat well, or the way I liked. I modified it (separate regulator and other adjustments) where I had a big flame for fast cooking and could turn it down for slow cooking. When it wore out, I went back to wood since all of them I've seen still have an anemic flame. Some kind of safety thing I guess because they figure you're too stupid to adjust the flame yourself.
an adjustable regulator sounds tempting.

I was looking at Webers tonight.  They seem to have the same crappy controls as the no-name grills.  If I could get grill that was made better, I would. I also wouldn't mind getting a smaller grill. We have a large grill and only use half of it at most.

Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow and I can go out and get this one working. Bought a regulator.
the hose didn't look good, and replacing the regulator and hoses fixed the grill.

I want to buy an extension hose, but the cheapest I can find for the tank side of the regulator is $35.  Looks like the grill side of the regulator takes SAE fittings, didn't see any extensions for those though.
How close is the nearest large propane dealer?

Many times they have a small shop that can make up
hoses/adapters/regulators for you.

Got one here that has bailed me out several times
and usually far easier/cheaper than the usual stores.

Just a thought.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
that's a good thought, but I would probably have to drive an hour each way.

Would Suburban or AmeriGas have a shop?
(05-28-2018, 03:31 PM)Roly Wrote: If it worked before, shut off the tank valve and disconnect the tank. Then reconnect it back up and make sure the tank connection is tight, burner valves off, turn tank back slowly on, then see if it works correctly.  There is a safety in the tank if it sees to much flow , which then almost shuts it off.  Roly

Smile
Smile
Smile
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.