One Time Tools
I didn't really understand what Woodpeckers' One Time Tool division meant until recently.  

It appears that they make a single production run and then "retire" the product.  

So what do you think of a company that produces tools (not art) that they believe will have so little usefulness that only one production run will be required?

Does it make sense to devote design efforts for ephemeral tools?

Would they be better served spending more time to design tools with greater life?

I would not buy a tool that the designer/manufacturer believed so little in.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A few years ago, I went to my first MWTCA event.  I recall guys talking about how often Stanley Rule & Level made one of's and single production runs of certain tools.  Some of them were promotional items, some were prototypes, some were just because.  Anyway, legend has it that many examples of these tools still exist, locked away at Stanley HQ, and only certain privileged individuals are ever given access to see any of them.  There are collectors out there who would jump at the chance and spend big $$ to own some of that stuff.  I dunno about any of that, but it made for a pretty interesting story.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-30-2018, 09:12 AM)Cooler Wrote: I didn't really understand what Woodpeckers' One Time Tool division meant until recently.  

It appears that they make a single production run and then "retire" the product.  

So what do you think of a company that produces tools (not art) that they believe will have so little usefulness that only one production run will be required?

Does it make sense to devote design efforts for ephemeral tools?

Would they be better served spending more time to design tools with greater life?

I would not buy a tool that the designer/manufacturer believed so little in.

I take their definition of "one-time tools" as they are using a slack in their production schedule to produce a small run of tools they offer for a limited time.  They are not devoting large scale production runs to these and offering limited quantity for sale.  I don't think they are throwing away the tooling and never offering these items ever again, just implying that they are not always offering the product on a scheduled recurring basis.  I would say the terminology is a little off.
(05-30-2018, 09:37 AM)cams2705 Wrote: I take their definition of "one-time tools" as they are using a slack in their production schedule to produce a small run of tools they offer for a limited time.  They are not devoting large scale production runs to these and offering limited quantity for sale.  I don't think they are throwing away the tooling and never offering these items ever again, just implying that they are not always offering the product on a scheduled recurring basis.  I would say the terminology is a little off.

Several of them are listed as "retired".  So it is not entirely clear.  

But other manufacturers develop tools to run "forever" or until they update the design.  This is the only tool manufacturer who simply uses their CNC milling and laser capablity to produce limited use, limited production tools.  

CNC machines are very efficient and are good for short production runs.  

It seems to me that tool manufacturers should identify real needs and build tools that will lastingly meet those needs.  This whole "one time" think seems like a manufacturer that is very casual about their research on new needs.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It’s just a marketing gimmick and a way to charge more for a perceived scarce tool. Manufactured scarcity isn’t a new concept. Diamond cartels have been doing it for decades. I for one am glad to see an American company making stuff here and charging a premium for it. Good on them I say.

I have a couple their one time tools. Some of things they come up with are cooky to me, but to each his own.
-Marc

(05-30-2018, 10:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: Several of them are listed as "retired".  So it is not entirely clear.  

But other manufacturers develop tools to run "forever" or until they update the design.  This is the only tool manufacturer who simply uses their CNC milling and laser capablity to produce limited use, limited production tools.  

CNC machines are very efficient and are good for short production runs.  

It seems to me that tool manufacturers should identify real needs and build tools that will lastingly meet those needs.  This whole "one time" think seems like a manufacturer that is very casual about their research on new needs.

I agree it's a very odd concept. What drives me at home to make a new tool or jig is a defined need to use it, and use it in such a way that it makes my job much easier. If the time I invest in making it does not compare favorably to the time I save by using it (or an improvement in results) then it isn't worth it. The idea of creating a tool that has such a limited use that you don't plan to make more than one production run begs the question of whether the tool's utility warrants any production at all.

I have made many tools and jigs - one-off type things - that serve my purpose (and likely my purpose only). The last time I can think of doing something like this was when I bought two ten foot sections of iron pipe and a pipe clamp to make a 20 foot clamp. I did this when installing the deck boards to eliminate gaps - I wanted them tight at the start, knowing they would shrink. This worked wonderfully, but my twenty foot clamp has been collecting dust ever since.

I guess the thinking is not that the tools necessarily have a limited utility, but that they have a very defined utility for a limited number of users. This means they can sell the tool and make a profit (and eliminate production downtime) making a tool for a (potentially very) niche market.
I have a few tools I bought one time and used one time- like the ball joint press. But I got'em.
Wink
<<< Long time customer....
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Whatever works for them, but they are a little outside of my price range. I know they can't give them away, and I appreciate quality, but just to pricey for me.
(05-30-2018, 10:49 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: It’s just a marketing gimmick and a way to charge more for a perceived scarce tool

Truth
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here