Searching for Powermatic 12" Jointer Reviews
I've had difficulty finding reviews for recently manufactured Powermatic 12" Jointers. I wondered if any of you have experience with contemporary 1285 series jointers?

Thanks in advance.
(05-31-2018, 09:24 AM)Liam Murphy Wrote: I've had difficulty finding reviews for recently manufactured Powermatic 12" Jointers. I wondered if any of you have experience with contemporary 1285 series jointers?

Thanks in advance.

I own a DJ30 Delta. Its dead on the same as that one but with straight knives. Its a Brute. Makes the 8" jointers seem dinky. Id not trade it and my 20" DC580 for any of these euro combos 16" or whatever. Love the large separates.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(06-01-2018, 09:35 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I own a DJ30 Delta. Its dead on the same as that one but with straight knives. Its a Brute. Makes the 8" jointers seem dinky. Id not trade it and my 20" DC580 for any of these euro combos 16" or whatever. Love the large separates.

I think you have a clear advantage versus many here, and that is with shop floor real estate.  

I did look at the combo machines myself.  Even though I think they have merit, I too opted for separates even in my space challenged shop.
I had sepearts in a 1000sq since 2006. Put the jointer next to planer with infeed and outfeed pointing same direction. You add another 12-13" width maybe to your planer width. The rear jointer fence bar is below my planer table mostly and when its not due to large planer thickness need i move the jointer fence and that moves the bar out of the way fully. My chop saw station was a person width between start of planer with that chopsaw station against a wall with wood storage above. Now the chopsaw shared work area with planer infeed. Its all in how you work.

I hadn’t really taken a look a look at the DJ30 until today. They look nearly identical. Do they still make the DJ30? The other jointer I’ve been considering is the Grizzly G9860ZX. I’m also not interested in combo machines. I see their appeal, but I prefer tripping over large machines.
Delta does not make the dj30 anymore. While you might be able to get one maybe, and i have not had issues with mine, it would not be a good buy support wise for new money.

Pm makes a 16" too!

I have the 8" Powermatic with the insert head....not leaving my shop until my cold dead fingers are pryed from it.

Been dead nuts since I uncrated it 4 years ago, one of my best purchases for the shop.

Ed
(05-31-2018, 09:24 AM)Liam Murphy Wrote: I've had difficulty finding reviews for recently manufactured Powermatic 12" Jointers. I wondered if any of you have experience with contemporary 1285 series jointers?

Thanks in advance.

it is in Russian, but here is a video that is good quality.. .. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXaPWRexrg
For the price of that Powermatic (I assume made in Taiwan), a nice SCM Minimax could be had (Made in Italy), that doubles as a planer: just a thought.

Thanks in advance.
I have the Grizzly G9860ZX for about 2 years now. The cut quality is just as good as the Byrd head on my
delta DC 380 planer. The only issue is the cutter head guard. When the fence is set at the widest I can not just push the wood against the guard and have the wood also at the fence. I have to bump the guard forward and then move the wood against the fence. You get used to doing it so it is no big deal, no problems when jointing the edge only surface jointing.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor