Looking for a splitter for a Delta 36-546
Hey guys,

I'm a new woodworker and recently acquired a Delta 36-546 contractor's table saw from a garage sale for an excellent price.  The saw is in good shape, but the old man that had it threw away all of the safety equipment that came with it including the splitter.  Table saws make me very nervous when they don't have a splitter or riving knife.  I can't seem to find an OEM or 3rd party one anywhere.  

Does anyone know where I can get some safety equipment for this saw, or am I going to have to make a splitter for this thing?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Have you tried eBay or Graigslist?
You may try thesharkguard.com. Lee sells aftermarket safety accessories.
OLDJoe, Unfortunately I can't find one on eBay or Craigslist.

jimmyjam, Thanks. I'll check them out.
(06-04-2018, 03:55 PM)jbeckham Wrote: Hey guys,

I'm a new woodworker and recently acquired a Delta 36-546 contractor's table saw from a garage sale for an excellent price.  The saw is in good shape, but the old man that had it threw away all of the safety equipment that came with it including the splitter.  Table saws make me very nervous when they don't have a splitter or riving knife.  I can't seem to find an OEM or 3rd party one anywhere.  

Does anyone know where I can get some safety equipment for this saw, or am I going to have to make a splitter for this thing?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Have you tried looking at the BORK. Bolt on riving knife or something. It is made by a fellow woodnetter, just can't remember his name.
WoodTinker
Just looked up the model, its more of a benchtop saw, direct drive likely; it might be difficult for many of the aftermarket gear to be fitted to this saw, as they are generally made for more substantial saws, and priced accordingly (likely several multiples of what you paid for the saw).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-04-2018, 03:55 PM)jbeckham Wrote: I'm a new woodworker and recently acquired a Delta 36-546 contractor's table saw from a garage sale for an excellent price.  The saw is in good shape, but the old man that had it threw away all of the safety equipment that came with it including the splitter.  Table saws make me very nervous when they don't have a splitter or riving knife.  I can't seem to find an OEM or 3rd party one anywhere.  

Hi Jeremy - on the eReplacements Website, the 'guard system' for that saw is listed as 'discontinued', so a 'used' one may be your only option.  Another choice is a MJ Splitter (see pic below) - you'll need to make a ZCI (Zero Clearance Insert) for the saw's throat and use the setup guide to drill the holes for the splitter - acts like a 'riving knife' or standard splitter - I've used them on my table saws for years.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(06-06-2018, 12:11 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Jeremy - on the eReplacements Website, the 'guard system' for that saw is listed as 'discontinued', so a 'used' one may be your only option.  Another choice is a MJ Splitter (see pic below) - you'll need to make a ZCI (Zero Clearance Insert) for the saw's throat and use the setup guide to drill the holes for the splitter - acts like a 'riving knife' or standard splitter - I've used them on my table saws for years.  Dave
Smile

Thanks.  This looks like something that would work.
(06-05-2018, 11:59 AM)jimmyjam Wrote: You may try thesharkguard.com.  Lee sells aftermarket safety accessories.

I'll second this. Lee is a great guy and his splitters are top notch. Dunno if he can fit one for your saw, but it is certainly worth asking.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'm curious if you ever found a solution that worked for you. My parents are downsizing their house I my father let me take his Delta 36-546 Type 2. I don't know what it is with these older folks but he took off the entire guard assembly as well! I was able to find the guard but all the brackets to attach it are missing and, of course, he didn't keep any of the manuals.

I ran one MDF board through it that I ripped 1" off of and noped the hell away from that saw as the cut came rushing back through the saw. It'd be great to use it but the thing scares the crap out of me as is! Hopefully I can piggyback on your success and get this thing back in to safe operation. Thanks!