Testing electric fence charger
I need to protect my corn from the coons, and will put an electric fence around it this year. I've bought a 1 joule charger and will need to test it once set up. Can I do this with my VOM, or are those fence charger testers the only way. They run about $50 which I would just as soon not spend on a one trick pony.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-05-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I need to protect my corn from the coons, and will put an electric fence around it this year. I've bought a 1 joule charger and will need to test it once set up. Can I do this with my VOM, or are those fence charger testers the only way. They run about $50 which I would just as soon not spend on a one trick pony.

Tractor Supply has one for less than 20 bucks, works great.

CH
Had a fence tester for the wife's horse,pen.Worked very well.Best way is get a buddy to stand next to you and put your hand on his shoulder.grab the fence with your hand,If he starts jumping around,fence is working.Cheap and effective.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
we always used one like this, on the farm:
https://north40.com/electric-fence-teste...gIYTPD_BwE
nothing more than a neon bulb, in an insulated holder.
I've heard, but never tired a regular CFL light bulb will light up, when the fence goes hot.
(06-05-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: . Can I do this with my VOM, or are those fence charger testers the only way. They run about $50 which I would just as soon not spend on a one trick pony.

pee on it. that will tell ya if its workin.
(06-05-2018, 06:07 AM)CHIGH Wrote: Tractor Supply has one for less than 20 bucks, works great.

CH

$20  won't be bad, I'll have to check there.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-05-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Can I do this with my VOM, or are those fence charger testers the only way?

(06-05-2018, 10:30 AM)tomsteve Wrote: pee on it. that will tell ya if its workin.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking this.

We always just held a screwdriver close to it.  You want one with all the plastic or rubber handle.  Hold it close to the fence.  You should see the sparks jump between the fence and the screwdriver if it's working.
(06-05-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I need to protect my corn from the coons, and will put an electric fence around it this year. I've bought a 1 joule charger and will need to test it once set up. Can I do this with my VOM, or are those fence charger testers the only way. They run about $50 which I would just as soon not spend on a one trick pony.

I have two testers, the inexpensive one that came with the charger kit and another that cost about $20.00 if I recall.
The cheap one works best, though both can only be seen when the sun goes down. My wife tested one of the garden fence wires in full sun. Her scream told me it worked perfectly. I have two chargers, battery operated one in small garden and 115 volt charger in the high tunnel garden. Used to have groundhog problems, no more. Groundhogs don't even come around any more. They have been feasting on neighbors flower garden instead. 
I offered to install a charger and fence wire for her, she doesn't want a fence around her half eaten flower bed .Zareba is the
name of the company, there on the web. Probably get a tester cheap
mike
If you are serious about protecting your corn from raccoons go to Tractor Supply and buy some fly bait.

Mix it with some Coca Cola and put it in a pan in the corn. Be ready to dig some holes to dispose of the bodies. My brother in law told of finding the furry corn thieves dead with their heads in the pan. Of course you don’t want pets getting into the stuff
A quick google search recommends Marlin brand

Edit to add: this may be illegal- improper use of a pesticide.

(06-05-2018, 06:41 PM)goaliedad Wrote: If you are serious about protecting your corn from raccoons go to Tractor Supply and buy some fly bait.

Mix it with some Coca Cola and put it in a pan in the corn. Be ready to dig some holes to dispose of the bodies. My brother in law told of finding the furry corn thieves dead with their heads in the pan.  Of course you don’t want pets getting into the stuff
A quick google search recommends Marlin brand

Edit to add: this may be illegal- improper use of a pesticide.

Too many issues with the fly bait, besides the complete illegality. Carcass disposal, domestic animals, just the immoral feeling I get all rule that out. The fence charger will work just fine if I get it set up and working properly. The advice you offered is quite common, may be why Golden Malrin puts a warning against it on the front of the package.