Anyone compared Dewalt lithium brushless tools vs. brushed?
I want to get rid of my 18v reciprocal saw.  It seems like Dewalt may be getting rid of the 20v lithium brushed tools, because I see a lot of good deals on them.  Home Depot will include a brushed reciprocal saw, or grinder, or circular saw if you buy a 3ah battery and charger for $118.  Not sure how to pull up this deal online, there was a display in the store. I always say that you are living with the quality of the tool long after you forget how much it cost, but I was thinking of buying the reciprocal saw for $118 as a bare tool before I saw this display. I like the form factor of the brushed saw a little better than the brushless saw that seems to be most common, the brushed saw looks like a sawzall.  

My issue with the 18v tool is that it is a little wimpy and it kills the battery really quickly.  The lithium batteries are better on that score, but brushless would be more efficient, and possibly have a little better cutting.  Not sure about that.

Here is the link. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo...098482-_-N
They say it's not in my store, but it seems that all the parts are in my store so I might go ask them.
I have the brushed compact version, battery life seem to be good, usually run a 5 amp/hr battery.

Be warned, DeWalt didn't do a good job with anti-vibration on the compact version. Don't know about the regular one.

If you are going to use it alot, buy it someplace where it's easy to return.

IMO, pretty hard to beat a Milwaukee Sawzall.

Ed
I have a corded sawzall, but for a lot of things it's overkill and you need to drag a cord to the work.
(06-06-2018, 04:51 PM)EricU Wrote: I have a corded sawzall, but for a lot of things it's overkill and you need to drag a cord to the work.

So do I, totally understand....just wanted to let you know that the DeWalt was like an out of control sex toy.

Ed
(06-06-2018, 09:25 PM)EdL Wrote: So do I, totally understand....just wanted to let you know that the DeWalt was like an out of control sex toy.

Ed

Ed, you really oughta get a gig advertising for Dewalt. I have never seen a better reason to buy one! Maybe get two.....
I have the 18v version and tried to put a liion adapter on it.  No matter how well I put the adapter on, it shakes loose eventually.  The Sawzall obviously has a more substantial counterweight in it to stop the vibration.  Doesn't mean the Dewalt isn't useful.  

I'm sure dewalt would advertise it as a sex toy if they thought it would help sales, but then they might not be able to sell it in Alabama
(06-06-2018, 11:38 PM)jasfrank Wrote: Ed, you really oughta get a gig advertising for Dewalt. I have never seen a better reason to buy one! Maybe get two.....

Just might try that.....work has been slow lately.  
Laugh

Never used the old 18 volt version.

Have an old Milwaukee 18 volt Hackzall, excellent tool with a crappy battery.....the tool was way ahead of it's time.

Ed
The 20v stuff isn't going away, that is the new lineup and it's miles ahead of where the old 18v stuff ever was. Dewalt continually runs specials on different tools, they aren't on close out. They still even make the 18v tools but are no longer expanding that line, just the bare minimum to maintain it for the numerous folks that were heavily invested in it. Most who try the new tools begin the changeover pretty soon after. The slide on packs are a huge improvement and the lithium cell performance completely blows away any nicad tool for both weight and power.

The brushless 20v tools exceed the brush type in almost every way. More power, longer battery life, smooth variable speed operation, you name it. A reciprocating saw is not exactly something that can be perfectly balanced, it's going to shake and vibrate, much of that is due to the blade catching, cutting and not so much the saw itself. I have several corded and cordless, milwaukee, dewalt and porter cable. I've used about every brand over the years and they are all going to shake and vibrate some, it's the nature of that type saw. Trying to force or push the saw only make it worse.

I love my cordless sawzall and I use it a lot, have two at work and they see a ton of use cutting everything. Often used to cut pipe, large and small, angle iron and other structural steel during our demo projects. Can't even remember the last time I pulled out one of the corded versions. I've never felt it was low on power, not once. Most power hungry tools benefit greatly in the brushless version, such as grinders, circular saw, impact driver and drills. I've never felt my cordless sawzall really needed to be brushless but I believe they do make one, at least in the 60v flexvolt anyway. I have the circular saw and grinder in 60v, those are extremely impressive tools.
I didn't think they were going to discontinue the 20v, but I'm wondering about the brushed tools.  The brushless tools seem to be going down in price and there are a lot of specials on the brushed tools.

I only see the compact reciprocating saw in brushless.  I suppose it probably is better for me in some applications, like backpacking out into the woods to clear trails.  Amazon has it for $30 more than the brushed saw.  

On another subject, they have an SDS hammer drill for a reasonable price, thinking about that now.
Probably just the technology improving, becoming more mainstream and maybe even costing less to manufacture. The sale prices encourage people to go with the brushless models over the slightly less expensive brush model. Once they try it they'll surely recognize the performance improvement. I ordered a 3/8 brushless impact last week, found it for only about a dollar more than the older brush model.

Haven't used the rotary hammer yet, I'd think it might be a suitable application for cordless though, especially those times when I only need a few holes. I like my corded bosch RH when I have a lot of concrete drilling to do. Either way a rotary hammer makes holes in concrete so much easier than a hammerdrill. In my experience the brushless motor has almost always been better. I have several brushless, grinders, impacts and impact drivers and they offer incredible performance and are a huge improvement. The one place I just don't really care for a brushless motor is on my drill.

I have two of the older DC985 and one DCD996 that's brushless, I haven't gotten used to the new one. It works great for most things, except when doing something that might stall the bit. The brush type motor will pull down or kinda stall momentarily then go again if you lighten your touch or change position of the bit. If the brushless drill slows very much the motor cuts off and you have to release and pull the trigger again to get it restarted. I'm sure I just need to get used to it and probably change the way I operate it a bit but I usually find myself just reaching for one of the other drills.