stairs need TWO railings?
Searched "IRC" & "stair railings" etc and found all kinds of requirements for stairs but nothing on when stairs require TWO railings.

[Probably the result of not entering right words in "search" window!]

No such code requirement?
(06-06-2018, 07:05 AM)varkpilot Wrote: No such code requirement?

Depends on width of staircase, say 5'
Depends on whether commercial or residential
Depends on your area's codes, if you have any codes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Less than 5 ft wide, only 1 rail. Need a rail if 3 steps tall or taller. Stairwell more than 6 steps high needs lighting. Rail ends need to return to the wall.

Return
[Image: p7jLf6d.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-06-2018, 07:05 AM)varkpilot Wrote: Searched "IRC" & "stair railings" etc and found all kinds of requirements for stairs but nothing on when stairs require TWO railings.

[Probably the result of not entering right words in "search" window!]

No such code requirement?

Contact your local building department and find out what code they use, get a copy, and then you'll know.

John
(06-06-2018, 05:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Contact your local building department and find out what code they use, get a copy, and then you'll know.  

John

I don't have the answer to your question, but I added a second to our second floor stairs, because I wanted to, and made it myself.  My stairs are about 49" wide and some days I just use both rails.  My tail is draggin and it just helps.  I put them on both sides of all the stairs that work for them in the house.
(06-06-2018, 05:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Contact your local building department and find out what code they use, get a copy, and then you'll know.  

John

Pretty sure that "safety" requirements and ADA act requirements concerning "access" like stairs is all universal and trump Building Codes. About the only thing on stairs that is not universal is boxing in the risers and returns on stair rails. I believe there are still areas where those aren't required.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Some municipalities have adopted the ADA requirements for handrails.  

505.2 Where Required. Handrails shall be provided on both sides of stairs and ramps.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What about outdoor stairs like front and back entrance????
John T.
(06-07-2018, 07:53 AM)Cooler Wrote: Some municipalities have adopted the ADA requirements for handrails.  

505.2 Where Required. Handrails shall be provided on both sides of stairs and ramps.

That may be true on new construction, now, but it doesn't apply to already built structures, at least not in NYS.  I've installed two balustrades in the past 10 years that had to pass final inspection, one a new build the other an existing home.  Both had one handrail.  Also, there is a specific reference that if two handrails are used they must be X distance apart, meaning only one handrail is permitted on narrow stairways.  

This is why I recommended contacting the local building department to find out what the code requirements are for your specific location.  

John
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: What about outdoor stairs like front and back entrance????

3 or more risers, need at least one handrail

... Kizar Sosay