WTB: Western Rip Saw
I am looking for a sharp, ready to use western rip saw. I am in the process doing an English Woodworker bench build and I need to do couple of long rips in 1.5" SYP. Typically I would just use my bandsaw, but my goal is to not use any power tools for this build. I had planned on using my 240mm ryoba, but it has seen better days and is probably due for a replacement. Like many, I have been transitioning from power to hybrid to hand tool working. I am sure that once I have a good rip saw I will rely on my bandsaw less and less.

I am only looking for something I can get to work using right out of the box.

Also, I came across a new 26" 4.5 tpi "The Best Things" Pax saw for $100 that I am also considering. Any thoughts/opinions on vintage vs PAX will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Those Pax saws are pretty good values for new retail; taper ground, just a bit of breasting.  I picked up a couple of "1776" backsaws from Pax during a Hartville tool sale they posted in the S&S several years back and they have performed for me.  The Best Things saws have the walnut handles, Lee Valley sells them with the regular handles for a tad less.  I don't think you can go wrong with one in terms of new retail, especially in a rip, as the sharpening is pretty hard for the factory to screw up.

Edit:  oh, that being said, there's nothing like a big old 28" 4.5 pt Disston thumbhole rip; makes you feel like a man when using it!  I just sold a cleaned and sharpened one a few weeks ago.... no more in inventory right now.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-07-2018, 01:31 PM)Admiral Wrote: Those Pax saws are pretty good values for new retail; taper ground, just a bit of breasting.  I picked up a couple of "1776" backsaws from Pax during a Hartville tool sale they posted in the S&S several years back and they have performed for me.  The Best Things saws have the walnut handles, Lee Valley sells them with the regular handles for a tad less.  I don't think you can go wrong with one in terms of new retail, especially in a rip, as the sharpening is pretty hard for the factory to screw up.

Edit:  oh, that being said, there's nothing like a big old 28" 4.5 pt Disston thumbhole rip; makes you feel like a man when using it!  I just sold a cleaned and sharpened one a few weeks ago.... no more in inventory right now.

Thanks Admiral. I usually check this forum pretty regularly but I missed a day or two when you posted it. By the time I saw it it was already gone. I should know better then to not check here 10 times a day 
No

Believe it or not The Best Things PAX actually costs less than the Lee Valley version, $125 vs $138.
I have a 22" PAX rip barely used. Yours for $40 plus actual shipping. Let me know.
(06-07-2018, 09:03 PM)Blockplane Wrote: I have a 22" PAX rip barely used. Yours for $40 plus actual shipping. Let me know.

Blockplane, I am interested, but if you don't mind I would like to wait a few days to see if anybody has any vintage saws to offer. Also, can you give me a shipping cost estimate to 45869. Thanks!
I have several that are ready to use, but I won’t get back to the shop until Sunday afternoon. Most are Disston, but I probably have a Simmons’s or Adkins too. They’re sharp because I use them regularly. If you can wait, I’ll send you details.
(06-09-2018, 06:43 AM)David Knight Wrote: I have several that are ready to use, but I won’t get back to the shop until Sunday afternoon. Most are Disston, but I probably have a Simmons’s or Adkins too. They’re sharp because I use them regularly.  If you can wait, I’ll send you details.

No problem. It'll be another week or so before I'm ready to use one anyway. Thanks.