Paean to the double square
My two 12' combo squares (Starrett and Brown&Sharp) both have the 4R scales. I keep both setup so that I'm reading from the 1/16" scale.

My 4" and 6" double squares also have 4R scales and I keep them set up the same way, it reads the 1/16" scale. So as long as I am reading the 1/16" scale left to right and right-side-up, I'm reading the end of the double square that is being referenced on the work. No need for adding tape or other dodges to the double square.

YMMV.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have 2 double squares and use them all the time. I always wonder why I took so long to buy one.
I'm still refraining..........too many squares around here now. I only have 2 hands.
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“
Where did you find 12’ combo squares.

Winkgrin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(02-26-2019, 06:18 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“

Winkgrin

Rob scours for those special tools.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-26-2019, 06:18 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“

Winkgrin

The best thing about being 12' is they are hard to misplace. So I always find them where I left them.

(12" of course, geeze I need to be more careful proofing things when using the darn phone to post.)
(02-27-2019, 09:52 AM)Rob Young Wrote: The best thing about being 12' is they are hard to misplace. So I always find them where I left them.

(12" of course, geeze I need to be more careful proofing things when using the darn phone to post.)

And, on WoodNet we are all grammer boys, to.....

Ps. Yes, intentional. However, I would never know if my punctuation is too lean, or too rife.
(02-27-2019, 11:17 AM)hbmcc Wrote: And, on WoodNet we are all grammer boys, to.....

Ps. Yes, intentional. However, I would never know if my punctuation is too lean, or too rife.

Yep
*too* 
and an ellipsis as three periods in it.

Laugh
Laugh
(02-27-2019, 01:51 PM)Rob Young Wrote: and an ellipsis as three periods in it.
Except when the ellipsis indicates that you've deleted something that includes a period, when it is acceptable - even, some argue, clearer - to use four periods.  For instance:

"I really like my double square that I bought last year.  Just as with clamps, you can't have too many squares."

"I really like my double square....you can't have too many squares."
I also prefer a combination square over a double. I can't get the excitement out of a double maybe I am just paranoid that I will use the wrong end.