Paint for metal exterior door?
I have a residential exterior door that is metal clad. It needs to be repainted. This door gets a lot of sun here in South Carolina. Is there a preferred type/brand of paint to use?
Thanks,
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
I've used latex enamel, brushed on, twice now in 18 years. Hasn't pealed off, but it only gets morning sun.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'd go to Tractor Supply and look at their implement paint.

Those paints are designed to spend all day in the sun
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
We used auto paint on steel doors.
(06-10-2018, 04:41 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I'd go to Tractor Supply and look at their implement paint.

Those paints are designed to spend all day in the sun

This.

You can get hardener for it also.

Ed
My steel-clad door came w/ a warning to only use acrylic paint, no oil-based.
Thanks for all of the replies. Now to go ask SHMBO what she thinks
Rolleyes 

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
just like Phil said, my door said no oil, only acrylic.  
I just saw them paint a metal door on Ask This old House, and they used a non-oil based DTM (direct to metal) paint.  I'd never heard of it before.  Looks like the different manufacturers have such lines of paint.  

Colin
Try Sherwn Williams direct to metal paint. It is designed for apps just like this.  My guess is that there are other companies that make this.  Auto paint would be great but it is expensive - but you do get high quality.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(06-12-2018, 02:59 PM)John Mihich Wrote: Try Sherwn Williams direct to metal paint. It is designed for apps just like this.  My guess is that there are other companies that make this.  Auto paint would be great but it is expensive - but you do get high quality.

We're going to check with SW when we get back from vacation.
Thanks
Rick
MAGA!!