Potential for Interesting Bowls?
My son and I took down this tree at his place earlier today.  Probably 14-18" in diameter and pretty straight for about eight foot.  I have done less than a handful of turnings but think this has some potential.  I know need to get this end sealed soon (the other is hung up in some trees) if I want to use it.

Besides bowls or plates, any ideas?  

Or am I just fooling myself thinking that this wood has the potential for something interesting?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-10-2018, 02:54 PM)goredsus Wrote: My son and I took down this tree at his place earlier today.  Probably 14-18" in diameter and pretty straight for about eight foot.  I have done less than a handful of turnings but think this has some potential.  I know need to get this end sealed soon (the other is hung up in some trees) if I want to use it.

Or am I just fooling myself thinking that this wood has the potential for something interesting?

I think you need to send it all to me for further analysis.
Laugh

Serious it looks like flame box elder and it will look good with anything you make from it.  One thing tho and of which I have done now for 4 years is add sunscreen lotion of SPF 80 after all the finish is done.  I should say if you are letting it sit around in the sun like a vase or non usable things.

I have found so far it keeps the colors like Padauk, Yellowheart, Red Heart, Purple Heart, Bloodwood, and Mulberry to keep the color for a long time.
I did one piece 4 years ago with no more SPF added and it has faded some but the other three years I have added SPF every year and it is still looks great with nice color.

Good luck on turning it and hope to see what you make.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-10-2018, 02:54 PM)goredsus Wrote: My son and I took down this tree at his place earlier today.  Probably 14-18" in diameter and pretty straight for about eight foot.  I have done less than a handful of turnings but think this has some potential.  I know need to get this end sealed soon (the other is hung up in some trees) if I want to use it.

Where are you located? I'm sure some local scavengers freeloaders vultures helpful woodnetters would be happy to come over and help you figure out how they you could best use it.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''

Suggest you slab it to the height of your desired bowl, hollow to ~1/2 thick if the rings are fairly consistent all 'round the slab.  Elevate on stickers for curing to provide air to all surfaces.  All end grain, so it should cure in a short time.  Circularity accomplished by re-turning.  Shouldn't have much problem getting 1/4" or so final thickness.  

Favor wide over deep, and remember that the interior is bottom up to cut downhill!  

Best way to capture the star.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for the feedback a the offer to help me out by taking it my hands ?

I appreciate you telling me how to keep the star - had no idea how I was going to do that. I know I need to practice before I try to turn this to reduce my chances of ruining it.

Thanks again.
(06-11-2018, 07:26 AM)imapseudonym Wrote: Where are you located? I'm sure some local scavengers freeloaders vultures helpful woodnetters would be happy to come over and help you figure out how they you could best use it.

Now that's funny.

This website needs to have feedback clickers.
(06-11-2018, 07:46 PM)goredsus Wrote: I appreciate you telling me how to keep the star - had no idea how I was going to do that. I know I need to practice before I try to turn this to reduce my chances of ruining it.

Practice on a slab of anything you please to get used to turning from center bottom to rim.  You're almost limited to scraping with almost any gouge grind, but shearing along the direction of cut will still give a nice surface, if slowly. 

Note the distortion here on a  7"x 1.5" cherry. 

This is also an inch and a half deep and a foot across. 

Cut inside to out, bottom to rim.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing and the advice.