Would common concrete block (8x16x4) work as a patio paver?
Stucco wire then perhaps?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(06-11-2018, 05:07 AM)frule Wrote: We have a "yard" for our 2 Basset Hounds that is covered with 3/4" smooth pea grave about 3" deep.
They have been digging up mushrooms and getting sick from eating them. The mushrooms are buried
so that only a hound's excellent sense of smell finds them. I have found nothing that will kill the mushrooms.

Fred.

Are the mushrooms growing over the entire "yard" or just in one location? The mushrooms are probably coming form an area that has a concentration of organic matter; perhaps old rotting roots. If you can dig this out you will likely eliminate the problem. Also, you may find that the area where the mushrooms are growing is quite wet. Make sure that the area drains completely; both surface and subsurface. If the area does not now drain well, your pea gravel may be exacerbating the problem because it is porous and slows evaporation. Pavers may not be much of an improvement for the same reason except it will keep the dogs from digging. If the digging problem is only in a small area of your "yard", maybe you can hand mix enough bag mix concrete to cover it. Unless there will be some kind of load on it, it doesn't have to be 4" thick. I have an area of 2" thick concrete under a deck for parking a mower and generator that has been there for many years without cracking. Perhaps some perforated subdrain pipe will help if there is a lower area to drain it to. Also, if possible, make sure that the area gets plenty of sun.

I have read that pouring a soapy solution around them will kill the mushrooms. I can't verify this. However, it would be better to eliminate the source of the problem.
You need to kill the mushrooms. I'd start with a fungicide. I had a similar problem several years ago with one of my dogs eating mushrooms and getting sick. I treated the area with fungicide and no more mushrooms.
I was just thinking about doing this because my dogs keep digging up my gravel to get at a chipmunk.  Where is that snake that cleared all the varmints from my yard last year?
(06-12-2018, 10:29 AM)crokett™ Wrote: You need to kill the mushrooms.  I'd start with a fungicide.  I had a similar problem several years ago with one of my dogs eating mushrooms and getting sick.  I treated the area with fungicide and no more mushrooms.

It seems odd, but I have read repeatedly, that fungicides won't kill the mushrooms. 
Or that they return very quickly, especially where there is animal waste.
My problem is that I can't see them, so I won't know if a fungicide did work (they are completely buried in the pea gravel)
and I can't risk more vet visits ($$$$).
It should be easy to kill mushrooms. Just Google it.

You have to put down a layer of sand or granite dust first, like any paver job.

Or get some deer fence barrier and lay that down, cover with gravel.   Stops 'em cold ;-)