What is going on
With what Allen said I gather this

A lot of people who started say 8 to 10 years ago have learned what they need to know and have bought the tools and equipment they needed.
So they are now spending more time out in the shop doing what they learned and not enough new people are getting here to get it all going or keep it all going.

I know I post quite abit but not with all the hundreds of questions like I did 5 to 8 years ago. 

Now I just brows thru all the things that look interesting or post about missing friends I have not seen for a while or so many other things.

It looks like it is the same with so many others of that period and are either looking like me or getting older and not wood working as much or like the "audience has matured" kind of thing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Forums are dying because their fates are the same as blogs. Many bloggers (not just in woodworking) are disappearing because they have served their purposes and are being replaced by other social media which are instant and have a large base of audience. Many people don't use photos (out of laziness or technical disadvantages) in forums even when they post complex questions for advice. Texts are simply not as appealing in complex concepts.

People also use digital devices rather than computers and some forums are not phone-friendly, for example.

Look at instagrams, some with 5-digit followers, and ads free. Forums have an uphill battle...juts like print magazines.

It is costly to run forums and I expect the remaining five or six woodworking forums to go thinner within a decade when their current owners retire without a succession plan. Festool forum is run by Festool and that will be an exception, unless they decide to go with a different social media channel.

People love fireworks and I find "confrontational threads" attract more visits than any others. So posters with strong but civilized personalities should be welcome to drive more traffic. As long as nothing is personal and insulting words are not used, the thread should be allowed to go on. I have seen threads at another forum shut down or even removed without a trace with no explanations.

Simon
(06-18-2018, 12:15 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Forums are dying because their fates are the same as blogs. Many bloggers (not just in woodworking) are disappearing because they have served their purposes and are being replaced by other social media which are instant and have a large base of audience. Many people don't use photos (out of laziness or technical disadvantages) in forums even when they post complex questions for advice. Texts are simply not as appealing in complex concepts.

People also use digital devices rather than computers and some forums are not phone-friendly, for example.

Look at instagrams, some with 5-digit followers, and ads free. Forums have an uphill battle...juts like print magazines.

It is costly to run forums and I expect the remaining five or six woodworking forums to go thinner within a decade when their current owners retire without a succession plan. Festool forum is run by Festool and that will be an exception, unless they decide to go with a different social media channel.

People love fireworks and I find "confrontational threads" attract more visits than any others. So posters with strong but civilized personalities should be welcome to drive more traffic. As long as nothing is personal and insulting words are not used, the thread should be allowed to go on. I have seen threads at another forum shut down or even removed without a trace with no explanations.

Simon
This forum has particularly suffered from a decline in participation.  I have doubts that other electronic media have taken participants away.  Having been here for over ten years, I could many more contributors that aren't here anymore than are.  There is a general malaise in the woodworking community, including manufacturers, who rarely introduce new products.  It was those new products that sparked much of the prior discussions.

On a brighter note, there are folks that still read this forum, but seldom are actively involved.  The good news is the S&S, which is still strong and absolutely the best place to buy or sell good tools.
(06-19-2018, 10:26 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: This forum has particularly suffered from a decline in participation.  I have doubts that other electronic media have taken participants away. 

On a brighter note, there are folks that still read this forum, but seldom are actively involved.  The good news is the S&S, which is still strong and absolutely the best place to buy or sell good tools.

Instagram is growing, not shrinking vs forums. Same for Pinterest. Facebook? No idea, but it doesn't look very good. They may not be taking members away from THIS forum, but they are keeping new people from going to forums including his one.

Your brighter note is half glass full sir. A forum, any forum, will die when people are just reading, like many blogs suffering from zero readers' comments, that fade and disappear. Of course, some blog owners simply have other priorities that don't allow them to keep their blogs.

I am not suggesting Instagram is a better platform, in fact, it is not as many of them are just self-promoting and you can't believe how ignorant some of the comments are. Show a handsome (expensive) tool and you get praises. Or just a photo of a dovetail (even with a huge gap) and people showing admiration. Then some instagram owners ignore others' questions or do so only you are in their "circles" or you are one of the "popular" woodworkers. Unsafe shop practices are seen there too, just like those seen in many horrible youtubes.

Fatigue is another factor. What topics have not been covered? Politics aside that is.

Better known people or vendors shy away from forums because they will never win when some people here consider exchanges as a shouting game. The louder you are you better you are.

Simon
One of the reasons I do not post is because of being deleted for talking about God, country, or politics. When people start taking away our second amendment rights to express our beliefs and opinions, it becomes invasive upon ones rights. I am not trying to be ugly, just stating facts as I see them. I quit contributing to forums and blogs for these reasons. I will not change my beliefs just because someone else does not believe the way I do. I will continue to ride in the background and learn. Thanks for hearing me out.
Joe
(06-19-2018, 01:22 PM)Joe Tilson Wrote: One of the reasons I do not post is because of being deleted for talking about God, country, or politics. When people start taking away our second amendment rights to express our beliefs and opinions, it becomes invasive upon ones rights. I am not trying to be ugly, just stating facts as I see them. I quit contributing to forums and blogs for these reasons. I will not change my beliefs just because someone else does not believe the way I do. I will continue to ride in the background and learn. Thanks for hearing me out.
Joe

Joe, there is a Basement forum right here, but this is the hand tool forum.  Do you honestly think that your views on other unrelated topics would enhance what people are seeking from a discussion of woodworking?  As you said yourself: "it becomes invasive upon one's rights".  

Let's hear about your woodworking with hand tools.
(06-19-2018, 01:22 PM)Joe Tilson Wrote: One of the reasons I do not post is because of being deleted for talking about God, country, or politics. When people start taking away our second amendment rights to express our beliefs and opinions, it becomes invasive upon ones rights. I am not trying to be ugly, just stating facts as I see them. I quit contributing to forums and blogs for these reasons. I will not change my beliefs just because someone else does not believe the way I do. I will continue to ride in the background and learn. Thanks for hearing me out.
Joe

Joe what Mike said it correct.

I started a Bible Study in the Basement if you wish to add we would love to have you there.

Click on the link below to go there

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7339679
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When they switched over the software a couple of years ago, I couldn't log in because of the Captcha crap. I ended up creating a new user name just to get in, then one day, I was back in as mvflaim for some reason. I'm sure many people left and never came back because of the glitch.
(06-19-2018, 06:07 PM)mvflaim Wrote: When they switched over the software a couple of years ago, I couldn't log in because of the Captcha crap. I ended up creating a new user name just to get in, then one day, I was back in as mvflaim for some reason. I'm sure many people left and never came back because of the glitch.

Glitch? Only one? 

I still can't get messaging to work; or, work properly. Has anyone seen my signature? But those emoties are doing great!
Smile
Winkgrin
Crazy
Upset

Ps. I don't miss anything. It's fine as-is.
Thanks for your remarks. Much to consider.
I do apologize for over stepping.
Mike And Arlin are absolutely correct.
Joe
P.S. Arlin count me in.