What is going on
I posted a question about a hand saw the 30th of May and it is still on the front page of this forum. A little while ago it would have lasted maybe a day because of the replies. What is going one here? Has the woodworking hobby suddenly come to an end?

It just seems strange that there isn't a lot of activity on any of the forums here like there used to be, so I will open the can of worms.  I stopped posting because of the bullying by several person(s) here on the forum. I don't come here but about once a week to see if there is anything new and if interest to me who has been woodworking for 50 years. Even today when some one has something to say, he has a tendency to know what he is talking about and I lessen, and will give it a try. 

An example is: I posted that I like acrylic artist brushes for applying glue. I use Titebond  1 because most of my work remains indoors.  They are easier to use when getting into tight places, and if I forget to clean the brush and the glue dries I can put it in a glass of water and clean it the next day and it is as good as new. I got several pages of replies saying the acid brush is the only brush that is supposed to be used. I even was told that I might learn something by watching Rough Cut because Tommy uses an acid brush. I mean if one doesn't want to try an acrylic brush and wants to stay with an acid brush it is okay with me. I wouldn't have responded in a very negative way, If you can't say something nice, don't say anything is how I live..

Is that some of the reasons an 18 day old post is still on the front page?

Tom
(06-17-2018, 09:29 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I posted a question about a hand saw the 30th of May and it is still on the front page of this forum. A little while ago it would have lasted maybe a day because of the replies. What is going one here? Has the woodworking hobby suddenly come to an end?

It just seems strange that there isn't a lot of activity on any of the forums here like there used to be, so I will open the can of worms.  I stopped posting because of the bullying by several person(s) here on the forum. I don't come here but about once a week to see if there is anything new and if interest to me who has been woodworking for 50 years. Even today when some one has something to say, he has a tendency to know what he is talking about and I lessen, and will give it a try. 

An example is: I posted that I like acrylic artist brushes for applying glue. I use Titebond  1 because most of my work remains indoors.  They are easier to use when getting into tight places, and if I forget to clean the brush and the glue dries I can put it in a glass of water and clean it the next day and it is as good as new. I got several pages of replies saying the acid brush is the only brush that is supposed to be used. I even was told that I might learn something by watching Rough Cut because Tommy uses an acid brush. I mean if one doesn't want to try an acrylic brush and wants to stay with an acid brush it is okay with me. I wouldn't have responded in a very negative way, If you can't say something nice, don't say anything is how I live..

Is that some of the reasons an 18 day old post is still on the front page?

Tom

Tom,

There are six replies to your hand saw message. It might be as simple as hitting the 'refresh' button on your browser, as the page sometimes does not automatically update.

Otherwise, all is good and most of us are as busy as ever.

Nice saws by the way. If I didn't already have 100 too many, I would have considered buying one.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I usually come daily and see 6 or 8 threads in hand tools with new posts. The "basement" on the other hand, typically seems to have 60 to 80 threads with new posts.

Seems like everyone is too preoccupied with politics and cooking to get around to any woodworking.

The hand tool active threads seem to be pretty thin these days as well. Not a lot of meat on the bones, so to speak.

The more general woodworking sub forum seems to be comparably sparse. I rarely look at others, so I can't comment.

Something seems to have gone awry, but I have no idea what it may be. I see decent levels of posting on another woodworking related forum I use regularly.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
I can't believe you'd use an acrylic brush for applying glue.

So irresponsible.

I'll bet you load the toilet paper roller so the paper comes under instead of over the roll.
(06-17-2018, 01:54 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I can't believe you'd use an acrylic brush for applying glue.

So irresponsible.

I'll bet you load the toilet paper roller so the paper comes under instead of over the roll.

Naughty, naughty.
Winkgrin 

You forgot to add the appropriate emotis.
Slap
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-17-2018, 02:01 PM)iclark Wrote: Naughty, naughty.
Winkgrin 

You forgot to add the appropriate emotis.
Slap

I debated myself over whether to include any, and I won.
(06-17-2018, 09:29 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Is that some of the reasons an 18 day old post is still on the front page?

Tom

Tom,

Yes, plus some bans where folks chose not to come back, some permabans, some deaths and retirements from woodworking, and the usual summer slow down where folks are taking vacations and spending time with families.

The slowdown seems to be even worse in turning. Sadly, i have had almost no time in the shop so far this year and so have had very little to contribute in new content there.
Sigh

I am also a bit surprised at how long some of the items are lasting in SnS. If I did not already have a MF#14C from you, I would have one now. 

FWIW,
Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I go from the top down to the basement and click on people I know or things that interest me.  I try to have comments for everyone but sometimes I just love to look and for buying things I just got a couple of things were individuals would take a few payments since it would take me a few months to pay off.
So glad people help me/us in taking the payments.

I seen this post to see what you were doing.  So glad all is still well with you my friend.  I am hoping this Aug when we go to Wisconsin for my nieces wedding we can stop on the way back. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Two things:  1) No right thinking person would ever load toilet paper to go under. ONLY OVER THE TOP! 
2) As for applying glue. I don't use brushes for Titebond. I use either a thin piece of wood (usually a shaved down Popsicle stick or sliver of wood) or my finger. Dovetails, M & Ts, and inside corners, and other tight places get the Popsicle stick treatment and most everything else gets the finger (so to speak.- no bad double entandre intended). Using the finger to apply glue allows easy control over the amount and evenness of glue being spread.
Never mind, now I remember.

Tom