undermount drawer slides
This is my first effort at undermount slides.  

The project has inset drawers.  As designed (Woodsmith 76, August 1991)  this Night Stand calls for drawers to slide on wood having adhesive backed hdpe on the supporting surface. 

I hope to substitute undermount slides.  The undermount slides I have found:  K&V, accuride, blum, etc all appear to require a vertical attachment at the side of the case.  For the overlay drawer front, or semi-overlay drawer the side attachment is not an issue.  

The instructions I have read call for the attachment of the slide to the case to be even with the front of the drawer.   Also, with the full inset drawer, space is require to accommodate the vertical leg of the slide attached to the case, making the drawer front gap between the front and the face frame ~ 3/16", or more.   

I wonder about the vertical attachment of the drawer slide at the side of the case peeking out.

Is there a quality undermount slide that does not require a vertical leg of the slide attached to the side of the case?  
Is there a quality undermount slide that may be attached to the front rail inboard from the front edge of the drawer?  

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

tom
pretty sure that accurite has one, I'll have to go look at my thread about drawers in a face frame

http://www.rockler.com/accuride-center-m...ect-length
not sure if this is what you are looking for. They assume you are going to have some vertical surface somewhere, but not very much.
(06-17-2018, 09:34 PM)anwalt Wrote: This is my first effort at undermount slides.  

The project has inset drawers.  As designed (Woodsmith 76, August 1991)  this Night Stand calls for drawers to slide on wood having adhesive backed hdpe on the supporting surface. 

I hope to substitute undermount slides.  The undermount slides I have found:  K&V, accuride, blum, etc all appear to require a vertical attachment at the side of the case.  For the overlay drawer front, or semi-overlay drawer the side attachment is not an issue.  

The instructions I have read call for the attachment of the slide to the case to be even with the front of the drawer.   Also, with the full inset drawer, space is require to accommodate the vertical leg of the slide attached to the case, making the drawer front gap between the front and the face frame ~ 3/16", or more.   

I wonder about the vertical attachment of the drawer slide at the side of the case peeking out.

Is there a quality undermount slide that does not require a vertical leg of the slide attached to the side of the case?  
Is there a quality undermount slide that may be attached to the front rail inboard from the front edge of the drawer?  

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

tom

You can mount Blum, K&V, etc. undermount slides to the inside of the case, on the cabinet frame itself, or on a filler strip.  You can mount the front on a filler strip and the back to the back of the cabinet using their rear mounting brackets.  

For inset drawers you have to move the slide rearward equal to the width of the drawer face plus the standard amounts.  Here's an example:

[Image: QE-1knDbGj6KaQSxKXugNZa2GWupon8r9gDU2AK1...35-h626-no]

Note I mounted the slides to the cabinet frame itself, and used a slotted screw hole at the back to allow the frame to move.  With the drawers in, but not the fronts, it looks like this:

[Image: AiIwWwFNPy4eKY-JyYf_MtPZqkriOHkLT2Yb_AAG...35-h626-no]

The gap you are talking about is between the side of the drawer and cabinet mounting point, not the reveal between the drawer front and face frame.  That can be as small as you want.  

[Image: 7G7ZhPm2bVlK0jYeuIrXAJ3Rcxw9gnOJ1i3mq7gI...35-h626-no]

The reveals around these drawers was about 3/32", and you can't see the edges of the drawer slides unless maybe you shine a flashlight into the gap. 

Hope that helps.  Go to Blum's or KV's website and download their installation guide for all the details.  

John
Have you made the drawers yet ?   If you made them to side mount specs, undermounts will not work.   Roly
(06-18-2018, 09:45 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You can mount Blum, K&V, etc. undermount slides to the inside of the case, on the cabinet frame itself, or on a filler strip.  You can mount the front on a filler strip and the back to the back of the cabinet using their rear mounting brackets.  

For inset drawers you have to move the slide rearward equal to the width of the drawer face plus the standard amounts.  Here's an example:

[Image: QE-1knDbGj6KaQSxKXugNZa2GWupon8r9gDU2AK1...35-h626-no]

Note I mounted the slides to the cabinet frame itself, and used a slotted screw hole at the back to allow the frame to move.  With the drawers in, but not the fronts, it looks like this:

[Image: AiIwWwFNPy4eKY-JyYf_MtPZqkriOHkLT2Yb_AAG...35-h626-no]

The gap you are talking about is between the side of the drawer and cabinet mounting point, not the reveal between the drawer front and face frame.  That can be as small as you want.  

[Image: 7G7ZhPm2bVlK0jYeuIrXAJ3Rcxw9gnOJ1i3mq7gI...35-h626-no]

The reveals around these drawers was about 3/32", and you can't see the edges of the drawer slides unless maybe you shine a flashlight into the gap. 

Hope that helps.  Go to Blum's or KV's website and download their installation guide for all the details.  

John

John, perhaps Anwalt's drawer has no seperate front? Some do build furniture where the drawerfront is part of the box, and that sits flush to the faceframe. If Anwalt did build his drawers with the front being one of the box sides, he could make undermounts work by raising the drawer bottoms up an inch.
(06-18-2018, 03:28 PM)jasfrank Wrote: John, perhaps Anwalt's drawer has no seperate front? Some do build furniture where the drawerfront is part of the box, and that sits flush to the faceframe.  If Anwalt did build his drawers with the front being one of the box sides, he could make undermounts work by raising the drawer bottoms up an inch.

The same rules apply for 5 piece drawers.  And, yes, he'd have to locate the drawer bottom up about an inch from the bottom of the drawer front.  

John