it's always something, GFCI breaker keeps blowing edition
I left all the grounds connected.  I will disconnect and check for continuity between ground and neutral, thanks for the tip. Maybe use the hipot meter

Also going to check the other outside outlet, maybe there are more spiders.  Or ants, those ants are a pain
(06-21-2018, 04:26 PM)EricU Wrote: I left all the grounds connected.  I will disconnect and check for continuity between ground and neutral, thanks for the tip. Maybe use the hipot meter

Also going to check the other outside outlet, maybe there are more spiders.  Or ants, those ants are a pain

You an leave the grounds connected but disconnect the neutrals.   They not the same after the gfci.   The neutral should not be grounded after the gfci .    Roly
understood, the GFCI wouldn't work. But if there is a connection between neutral and ground, it's from some kind of wiring failure or it wouldn't have been working for the last 30+ years.

I didn't disconnect to check yet, but I replaced the other outside outlet.  Electrician didn't use the clamp in the box, and the housing on the wire is back in the wall.  Couldn't pull it through.  I might try again tomorrow, but I feel like I'm going to have to go into the wall and make some mods.  Hopefully it's accessible behind the drywall.
(06-21-2018, 08:25 PM)EricU Wrote:  it wouldn't have been working for the last 30+ years.

30 year old GFI? Don't over think this, just replace it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I probably will replace it, but I feel like it's blowing for a reason.  Since I found the first outlet, I can use a gfi outlet and get a normal breaker.
(06-22-2018, 10:37 AM)EricU Wrote: I probably will replace it, but I feel like it's blowing for a reason.  Since I found the first outlet, I can use a gfi outlet and get a normal breaker.

Since you have a hi pot meter check both the neutral and the hot to ground.   With it being 30 years old I would replace it also , or do as you suggested and replace the outlet with a gfci.   You may also want to check the first section of wiring from the breaker box to the first outlet.    Roly         Let us know what you find
There is a hipot failure between hot and ground. Regular ohmmeter doesn't catch it.  Now I have to figure out where.
(06-23-2018, 03:39 PM)EricU Wrote: There is a hipot failure between hot and ground. Regular ohmmeter doesn't catch it.  Now I have to figure out where.

And the hot to neutral and neutral to ground read ok ?   Unless rodents got to the wire it will be at a device, either in the box or the device itself. Roly
I'm thinking it has to be the breaker.  I think I have a replacement. I know, I can be a little slow on the uptake.
finally got around to replacing the breaker.  Neutral return wires were very loose.  So I'm thinking that was the problem in the first place. I suppose that's why they want you to pigtail instead of running more than one wire into a breaker.  Replaced it with a regular breaker.  Turns out there were two lines running from the breaker, so I have to put in another gfci in an upstairs bath. I wanted to put a second outlet in there anyway, so now I have an excuse.