What to do with clamps....?
The NOG (New Old Garage) restoration continues. One thing that drove me up a wall was getting clamps corralled. Grabbed a 5 gallon bucket at one point. Now it looks like a pin cushion, and weighs about 100 pounds. Long stuff--pipe clamps or about 4 feet--slouch in a corner and take a downhill trip on occasion. 

Need some ideas and your solutions? But first...

Wheels are very appealing. I have never had room to roll anything. (Still don't have much.) A wild hair sent me to HF for one of their 4-wheel caster dolly's.  It's 30" x 18" I figure it can look like an "A-frame" with rods dangling like shingles. Do notches keep them corralled or just make-m pretty? Then, over-thinking got me on to glue, cauls, and applicators for which there is no room. But, organization sounds good. I really have an issue with sticking things on walls; it's like "advertising a mess". My scheme is sort of like this:

[attachment=11084]

There's a 'million' 4-inch jobs and a pile of spring clamps. 

Anyway, what you say is appreciated. Thanks, Bruce , being chased by slalom clamps.
(06-19-2018, 05:51 PM)hbmcc Wrote: The NOG (New Old Garage) restoration continues. One thing that drove me up a wall was getting clamps corralled. Grabbed a 5 gallon bucket at one point. Now it looks like a pin cushion, and weighs about 100 pounds. Long stuff--pipe clamps or about 4 feet--slouch in a corner and take a downhill trip on occasion. 

Need some ideas and your solutions? But first...

Wheels are very appealing. I have never had room to roll anything. (Still don't have much.) A wild hair sent me to HF for one of their 4-wheel caster dolly's.  It's 30" x 18" I figure it can look like an "A-frame" with rods dangling like shingles. Do notches keep them corralled or just make-m pretty? Then, over-thinking got me on to glue, cauls, and applicators for which there is no room. But, organization sounds good. I really have an issue with sticking things on walls; it's like "advertising a mess". My scheme is sort of like this:

There's a 'million' 4-inch jobs and a pile of spring clamps. 

Anyway, what you say is appreciated. Thanks, Bruce , being chased by slalom clamps.

I made an A frame maybe 20 years ago, no notches, just 2x2 rails, two high, and you fit in what you fit in.  No wheels, just sits in the corner.  Works for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Check out the way Charles Neil hangs all of his clamps up....

Me?    I hang from the ceiling joists....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Charles Neil.... AGGGHHHHH!  ... Never did find any wood stuff. Someone else directed me to him for wood finish, or corn remover. A few years ago.

Admiral, I don't expect the frame to move much. It just sounds good right now. I have some 2x material, so may perch it on the flimsy dolly from HF. The clips can hang like laundry line pins. I will fiddle some more. And, put the glue elsewhere.
Any particular reason you couldn't make a big drawer in the bottom end of your a frame structure?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The drawer, or bin, was an idea. But I have so many c-clamps and little stuff they should go into the clamp cart. They will help with stability also. 

I've lived with cardboard so long, and multiple boxes to hold those items, that there is a learning curve to transit. I will be doing the same decisions with the most inane objects. Like nail sets.
(06-19-2018, 09:32 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Check out the way Charles Neil hangs all of his clamps up....

Me?    I hang from the ceiling joists....

That's what I've done. Doesn't take up any space. Since the roof is well insulated in the main area, I have open joists.
How about adding an upright to each end with a couple or three rods spanning the uprights. Hang small clamps and such from the rods.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I hang all my long clamps to a big shelf on the wall. All of the short stuff is clamped to another shelf above that one.

carl
The garage shares space for family storage, camping, garden maintenance, and pantry, etc.. (It has never parked even one car) I am booting my wife out because anything of hers is like a virus, or weed, and expands into a real mess. I wish I had the space to use walls for this stuff. However, walls need to be devoted to storing family bulk. I am reserving a small section of wall for cabinets. The ceiling is a standard 8-feet and finished. It has not worked for storage, before this latest (only) rehab. A beam supporting living area above and roll-up doors occupy half of the ceiling. 

Yeah, a ladder of hanger rods could work. I thought 2x4s could hold and 'direct' longer clamp arms; and be part of the framing.

I don't intend to leave a void, behind plywood as shown in the sample rack. Too Scotch for that sort of waste. Seller's looks so efficient, with matched styles. Mine would be nothing like that. I bought clearance, odds, and as I could to meet a minimum at the time of need. Any consistency is usually a pair of each.