Drill fence rails or table top?
(06-20-2018, 12:54 PM)stav Wrote: I'd be inclined to do the rails. It would be easier to recover from a mistake there.

There are cut outs for the miter bar that will not change if just drilling rail.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When I had a sliding table for my Uni-saw, I just removed the fence rails, measured how far the rails needed to be shifted, then drilled holes in the rails --a relatively fast and simple job.

As others said, it is easy to drill and tap cast iron as long as you hold the drill and the tap straight....
(06-19-2018, 09:03 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I’m faced with the need to move my fence rails to the right. (Installed sliding table on the left). I can’t figure out how to use the existing holes so I’m going to have to drill I think.

My question is, for those that have done similar, you think it’s easier to drill and tap the cast iron and use the existing through holes in the fence rail? Or drill through holes through the fence rail and use the existing tapped  holes in the tabletop? Fence is a shopfox biesemeyer clone, saw is a 2 year old grizzly 1023.

Thanks!

I added a small Excaliber slider 26" I believe to my PM66 and had a Vega fence. I needed to remove the left hand wing per the mfg instructions I didn't want to cut off the tube so I made a table spacer out of thick maple to move the slider a few inches left of where the wing was removed from. It all works well together and I didn't move the fence at all.
maybe your slider can be a bit further away from the blade as well.
Tim
No question--drill the rails--leave the machine stock/original.
Wood is good. 
I have no problem with drilling and tapping cast iron. I would do the top
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I drilled and tapped some holes in my milling machine column, and managed to break the tap. I feel like cast iron can be funny to tap, especially if you have a crummy tap from the hardware store. If i was going to drill the table, I would have a good quality tap, some decent tapping fluid and a tap remover on hand.  

you can avoid all that by tapping the rails.
Well in the absence of a clear consensus I decided to tap the cast iron. The process did in fact go quite easily. Much more so than I thought it would. Hopefully soon I will wrap up the never ending project.
-Marc

Cool  .............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-24-2018, 03:04 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: Well in the absence of a clear consensus I decided to tap the cast iron. The process did in fact go quite easily. Much more so than I thought it would. Hopefully soon I will wrap up the never ending project.

Smile Great job

Cool

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.