Rough Cut TV Show
Coming off reading "whats going on" thread, let's start a fight. haha.

Has anyone been following what happened with Tommy MacDonald and his Rough Cut TV show on PBS? Apparently he and WGBH went there separate ways  last year and WGBH went out and hired Tom McCloughin (sp) to take his place.  The new show is sponsored by Fine Woodworking magazine and his now called Fine Woodworking's Rough Cut. Well since they are still using Tommy's trademark name Rough Cut without his approval he hired a lawyer to sue WGBH get his name back. Tommy started out on YouTube years ago as Rough Cut but I guess now he can't use a name that he created. He talks about it on his Facebook page. I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea if he has a case, but I would think if he signed on with PBS and lost his trademark name, he didn't have good representation. What's your thought?

Mike
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.ph...=Tommy+mac

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Number one reason why the commissions I take on are few and far between and have a million conditions attached to them.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
It will probably depend on the contract he had with PBS, which is almost certainly not public knowledge. He may or may not have a leg to stand on, but often these kinds of things get settled out of court.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(06-22-2018, 08:51 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: It will probably depend on the contract he had with PBS, which is almost certainly not public knowledge. He may or may not have a leg to stand on, but often these kinds of things get settled out of court.

Again I think it was posted in the tools thread, but when Tommy Mac was here he had everyone thinking of a name and what everyone came up with was Rough Cut.  So it was Tommy's and those on WoodNet helped him get the name.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-22-2018, 08:56 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Again I think it was posted in the tools thread, but when Tommy Mac was here he had everyone thinking of a name and what everyone came up with was Rough Cut.  So it was Tommy's and those on WoodNet helped him get the name.

I watched one of the new Fine Woodworking/Rough Cut shows.
It was more like a listing of the steps in making a veneered cabinet than a "How To" program. 
The new guy names the next step;
We see him do a few seconds of the activity:
He finishes that step and moves on to the next step in the process.

Almost no discussion of why or how.
Uses lots of tools - everything from a block plane to a band saw to a vacuum bag without any consideration of what you might do if you didn't have one of these tools.
It all happens is a Public-TV-Half Hour (26:30). A total distortion of what it would take a real person without a staff to make the cabinet.

In short, the show seems overly slick and compressed offering little in the way of tips, tricks, or insight into woodworking in the real world. 
My recollection of Tommy Mac was a hyper guy, but a more informative presentation of what it took to get the project done.
The editors of Fine Woodworking should be ashamed of this superficial program.
What do other folks think of the new version of Rough Cut?
Ron, to me, the show makes sense, and in my opinion, much of it depends on our individual experience levels and interests. I've only seen it a couple of times, but, as I've posted earlier in this thread, I like it better than Tommy Mac. But as I've said, it depends on our interets and experience and as you've said, there's a lot to show in 24 minutes!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-23-2018, 01:02 AM)ron kanter Wrote: I watched one of the new Fine Woodworking/Rough Cut shows.
It was more like a listing of the steps in making a veneered cabinet than a "How To" program. 
The new guy names the next step;
We see him do a few seconds of the activity:
He finishes that step and moves on to the next step in the process.

Almost no discussion of why or how.
Uses lots of tools - everything from a block plane to a band saw to a vacuum bag without any consideration of what you might do if you didn't have one of these tools.
It all happens is a Public-TV-Half Hour (26:30). A total distortion of what it would take a real person without a staff to make the cabinet.

In short, the show seems overly slick and compressed offering little in the way of tips, tricks, or insight into woodworking in the real world. 
My recollection of Tommy Mac was a hyper guy, but a more informative presentation of what it took to get the project done.
The editors of Fine Woodworking should be ashamed of this superficial program.

I enjoy the new show and host!  Tommy Mac is a very accomplished woodworker and he did fantastic work on the show, but his hyper style was too much for me, and he was more confusing to watch as he was all over the place, and he never really explained the steps in the process, he just as he said "Banged them out."  The new host even though it may seem that he uses shorter steps to complete each phase of the project build, they make more sense to me, and I feel they are better explained.

I really enjoy the new show and host!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Good explanation John-better than I could do!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-23-2018, 01:02 AM)ron kanter Wrote: The editors of Fine Woodworking should be ashamed of this superficial program.

FW does that for a reason: If you want details, go get their magazine because after the show comes the next issue of FW that spells out the details.

A marketing driven show? Yes, and that is why we saw a cross-cut sled (ridiculously or creatively depending on your perspective) used on a sliding saw (because Felder produces sliders only and no cabinet saws)!

Even Norm Abram had his share of critics and so both Tommys would have their supporters and naysayers. As long as the show is free to watch, we can take whatever we want.

Simon