Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%
(08-16-2018, 08:56 AM)thooks Wrote: Now that a President who wants to attempt to level the playing field comes along and who also has a reputation for excellent negotiation skills . . . . . .

Oh, please....... keep such stuff in the basement where it belongs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I’m willing to bet Geetech is going to (or may already have) cut their pricing to Grizzly......
VH07V  
Grizzly has made a ton of money using cheap Chinese workers. I have the Grizzly jointer which is no where near the quality of American made tools. I’ll pay more if the product is made in the USA. We need to commit improving our manufacturing capabilities. The Chinese are facing us off in all corners of the geopolitical spectrum. It’s time for all us us to realize what is happening.
(08-22-2018, 04:34 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Grizzly has made a ton of money using cheap Chinese workers. I have the Grizzly jointer which is no where near the quality of American made tools. I’ll pay more if the product is made in the USA. We need to commit improving our manufacturing capabilities. The Chinese are facing us off in all corners of the geopolitical spectrum. It’s time for all us us to realize what is happening.

Sez the guy typing his eloquent rant on a Chinese made Keyboard which comes into the USA duty free.
(08-22-2018, 05:37 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Sez the guy typing his eloquent rant on a Chinese made Keyboard which comes into the USA duty free.

+1
Jason

(08-22-2018, 04:34 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Grizzly has made a ton of money using cheap Chinese workers. I have the Grizzly jointer which is no where near the quality of American made tools. I’ll pay more if the product is made in the USA. We need to commit improving our manufacturing capabilities. The Chinese are facing us off in all corners of the geopolitical spectrum. It’s time for all us us to realize what is happening.

Why didn't you buy a new American made jointer?  They were/are available.
(08-16-2018, 08:56 AM)thooks Wrote: I'm a little baffled by most of the posts here.

Granted, I haven't bought any major woodworking equipment (new) since about 2004, but when I have looked lately, the pricing is just slightly higher than what it was 14+ years ago.

Fourteen years ago.

Now that a President who wants to attempt to level the playing field comes along and who also has a reputation for excellent negotiation skills, wants to try to make manufacturers take a second look at producing US made goods and starts in with a 25% Tariff and everybody freaks out?

1.  I would expect prices to be over 25% higher in 2018 than they were in 2004. A pickup truck of the same size/quality/etc that cost $25,000 in 2004 now costs $38,000 or more.  Homebuilding costs in 2004 were about $80/sf for middle of the road materials/finishes.  Today that number is $120/sf.
2.  Many manufacturers have gone to China for various reasons - most of them will quickly say "to stay competitive" and that shuts the crowd up.  The truth is they were most likely marketed by chinese manufacturers to give them a try, and yes, the pricing for most of the production was dirt cheap.  The quality at first was also horrible.

"Purveyors" like Grizzly have trained the plants to do better.  I have to imagine it has cost these "tool manufacturers" a decent amount of money that they might not have accounted for in the early days to send hundreds of people to these Chinese manufacturing facilities to perform QC/QA and simply tell the plants they have to produce better.

To me, there must be a HUGE separation in manufacturing costs between China and doing it in the US.  But that's not the total cost.  They have the QC staff, engineering, marketing, etc.  Now they have to content with Tariffs.  If the US Consumer really would vote with their wallet, at least some of the time, and leave the Foreign-made products on the shelf, the manufacturers/purveyors might give a second thought about having some stuff made in the US again.

This same President that is trying to levy Tariffs against certain goods made in certain areas is trying to do something no other President has done in my lifetime- make it more attractive to do business in the US.

Nodding to this.
(08-22-2018, 04:34 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: I’ll pay more if the product is made in the USA. We need to commit improving our manufacturing capabilities. The Chinese are facing us off in all corners of the geopolitical spectrum. It’s time for all us us to realize what is happening.

True, you will pay more for a high quality made in USA machine. Who does not want to get a high quality made in USA item (a pair of shoes, a shirt, etc.)?

But how many are there to afford them?

If you manufactured a machine that you could sell only 1,000 units while you needed 100,000 to break-even, would you still put your own money on the line to be that manufacturer?

I have no doubt that you and some are more than willing to and can afford to pay $500 more for a better machine that currently is made in China or Taiwan or Mexico. But you guys are in the minority of the minority. Fancy boutique tool makers survive because they serve the niche market you belong to. But the rest of the world can only be served with prices they can afford. Walmart would close down tomorrow if they could only sell goods made in the USA.

Simon
[quote pid='7656091' dateline='1534390053']

Not so much. Trump started talking about them in Jan 2016. Not too far after his election he put out the idea of "putting america first" when it comes to trade and having fair trade....through tariffs and leveling the playing field (cause he understands their economy needs us buying their crap. We dont need much of it....but they NEED our food exports....we have leverage). In his first week as pres he withdrew out of the TPP.

[/quote]

There are many producers in the world for food.  Food is just like any other commodity or industrial product. If the cost goes up substitutes can be found.  There is no food that is produced in the US that cannot be procured elsewhere. We do make some of the cheapest food in the world due to efficient production methods. If this now increases then it becomes equal to food produced in other countries. So it makes it easy to switch.  Same thing is true for Chinese made goods. If China cannot supply it at an good price perhaps Vietnam can. Who wins?