Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%
Thanks for the info Papa.

What is the tent sale date this year? I haven't checked the website.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with the careless whims of those in power in this way. I hope all goes well.

And once again for those who are missing the economics, Grizzly (and others) aren't profiting from this. In more likelihood, it's going to mean reduced profit for Grizzly et al. If you wanna complain, talk to your political representative. This is based off Pres. Trump raising tariffs. Grizzly will be losing money on this. If you're feeling punished as fixtureman suggests, it's the politicians to blame.
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
(06-21-2018, 03:01 PM)med-one Wrote: I hope all these tariff increases on imports will finally make a manufacture make equipment here in this country again.

I am not against moving manufacturing back, but after the trade war is over, how could we compete against the imports which have a far lower cost basis? My question assumes someone would invest in setting up a local plant to make say tablesaws or whatnot, which in any case, is unlikely given the uncertainty.

Simon
Thanks for the heads up, Papagriz. Is the G0514X 19” bandsaw one of the 25% impacted items?
(06-21-2018, 07:18 PM)Cian Wrote: Thanks for the heads up, Papagriz.  Is the G0514X 19” bandsaw one of the 25% impacted items?

No, it is not. That machine is made in Taiwan as are all our 14" and larger woodworking bandsaws.

Thanks.
As an estimtor in the trades i bid labor and material. Our purchasing manager sends me all the price increase notices. Some we expect like clockwork......commercial roofing...summer..busy... So some are oppoutunistic. Sometimes we get the notice neither of the two really big manufacturers apply them. This year we've gotten many more raw material increases and the biggie is due to the trucker shortage shipping has really increased. Those numbers have zero to do with our markup. We include the costs but dont add markup so we can compete. In our bussiness we use a lot of .040, .050 alum. 26,24 & 22 galv. The tarrifs on these with markup would hurt our winning chances. You can bet the competition is doing the same thing. We all want to cover these costs but arent expecting to "make" anything on them
Owning a powder metal parts manufacturing plant, I am sympathetic to the position Grizzly is in. Fortunately, my raw materials originate domestically. Unfortunately, over 75% of my product is automotive related, with the majority exported to the EU, to Canada and to Mexico. Much of the product then goes into assemblies and brought back into this country. We're in an Abbot & Costello "Who's on first" situation, as far as what may bevsubject to tariffs.

I don't have the luxury of increasing pricing because mine are not retail sales. How this all plays out, is anyone's guess, but if I were Grizzly, I would be doing the same thing.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-21-2018, 03:01 PM)med-one Wrote: I hope all these tariff increases on imports will finally make a manufacture make equipment here in this country again.

+1

I'd gladly pay 25% is the product was made here. 25% more from China.....not so much. I old consider stuff from the far east based on price. Its time for us to start making things again. Its possible, look at Oneida for example.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-21-2018, 09:21 PM)packerguy® Wrote: +1

I'd gladly pay 25% is the product was made here. 25% more from China.....not so much. I old consider stuff from the far east based on price. Its time for us to start making things again. Its possible, look at Oneida for example.

To me, I read this as a president of a company that cares about helping it's primary customers, woodworkers dedicated enough to join a forum.  Why else would papa let us know that we can order ahead of time to avoid the increase, and to be aware that the increase will hopefully only be temporary...

Also, to alert some current customers that they might need to cancel their orders that are pending.

Doesn't sound like a man wanting to squeeze us.

How can this post possibly be anything but helpful to our Woodnet community.

and besides.. most of us can't fit any more machines in our shops anyway...
(06-21-2018, 10:44 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: To me, I read this as a president of a company that cares about helping it's primary customers, woodworkers dedicated enough to join a forum.  Why else would papa let us know that we can order ahead of time to avoid the increase, and to be aware that the increase will hopefully only be temporary...

Also, to alert some current customers that they might need to cancel their orders that are pending.

Doesn't sound like a man wanting to squeeze us.

How can this post possibly be anything but helpful to our Woodnet community.

and besides.. most of us can't fit any more machines in our shops anyway...

My comments wernt bashing or anything negative against Grizzly as I own some Grizz tools. My point was simply making the fact that if I had to pay a 25% increase, would I still buy that Asian product or buy the American made product.....Id buy American 10 out of 10 times. 

Alerting customers is a class act. They dont benefit from the tariffs, frankly I bet business goes down because of them in the short term. I am sure many people wont/dont understand this. Frankly, I've never had a bad experience with them. I hope this doesn't hurt them log term, but like every business, you have to be able to change with the current market or you go out of business. Something tells me they will adapt and be around for many years.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)