Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%
(06-21-2018, 12:52 PM)Papagrizzl Wrote: All in all, due to nature of our business model (selling direct to the consumer and not through dealers) we will still be cheaper than anyone else in the market place, even with the price increases.

Can you shift any parts of your manufacturing process to the US? What is it in your business model that makes you depend on Chinese production that can't be done in the US? Perhaps you need to change your product line to not be as dependent on changing US trade policy.

I do it. I build stuff here, and sell it. I compete against imports by having a different business model, catering to customer's demand for quality.
On a larger scale, Starrett tools does the same thing.
(06-22-2018, 10:01 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Boink...

Hoping this thread stays civil

What, you new here? 
Laugh

I think the 2018 MO tent sale was earlier this month.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(06-22-2018, 03:15 PM)Rob Young Wrote: What, you new here? 
Laugh

I think the 2018 MO tent sale was earlier this month.

Blush

Well,
Slap me. I was thinking July.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-21-2018, 12:52 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: I would like to keep this thread strictly as it relates to Grizzly Industrial and prices that will be going up on July 6th due to the tariffs. Here are some key points to note:

1) 25% Tariffs are being imposed on most machines coming from China, and not Taiwan (regardless of whether China considers Taiwan as part of its territory, or not).

2) We have also been hit with numerous price increases for material costs that have gone up around the world and therefore our actual cost increase is much higher than the 25%.

3) Our prices, on the affected machines from China, will be going up on July 6th by a straight 25%.

4) An item that is IN STOCK and shipped before July 6th will be at the current price.

5) Any back ordered item, regardless of how long ago the order was placed, that comes in after July 6th will be charged the new higher price as we are unable to take a 25% hit. This tariff is beyond our control and we are being forced to increase prices.

6) If and when the tariffs are removed, on the date they rescind the tariffs, we will reduce all prices on the affected machines.

7) Although most machines from Taiwan are not affected by the 25% tariffs, they are still affected by the material costs and those machines will increase a modest amount, perhaps in the 5% range.

8) I strongly suggest that if you have been on the fence for a machine purchase, you do it before July 6th, 2018.

All in all, due to nature of our business model (selling direct to the consumer and not through dealers) we will still be cheaper than anyone else in the market place, even with the price increases.

Thank you for your understanding and for your continued support.
I had a G0453Z on back order.

Am I going to have the ability to cancel it if it doesn't get here in time and I don't want to pay the 25% increase?
(06-22-2018, 08:05 PM)TRW Wrote: I had a G0453Z on back order.

Am I going to have the ability to cancel it if it doesn't get here in time and I don't want to pay the 25% increase?

Didn't you buy this and pay for it with the thought that it would ship and that is the full price or did they tell you when you ordered it that the price could go up before they ship it. Sort of like bait and switch
(06-23-2018, 06:00 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Didn't you buy this and pay for it with the thought that it would ship and that is the full price or did they tell you when you ordered it that the price could go up before they ship it. Sort of like bait and switch

Can't speak for TRW, but when my purchase was back ordered some time ago, I was not charged till the order was filled.
(06-22-2018, 10:00 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Tariffs never work in the long haul; I see no reason for this time to be different.  

I agree, tariffs do not work for the long haul.  However, a level playing field is required.  If foreign producers meet US safety, pollution and other regulatory requirements, and foreign business was not subsidized by their government, then we would have a level playing field.  I do not believe this tariff is a long term move, but rather a negotiating tactic.  I do not believe Papa Grizzly or the US will be hurt in the long haul, but there will be some short term pain.  Some foreign governments have been accused of subsidizing foreign manufacturing, in order to get a foothold in the US.  I have not verified this, but I tend to believe it.  I do know the American farmer is subsidized by the US government, and some foreign governments have pointed to this as being unfair.

In the meantime, I appreciate Papa Grizzly giving us a heads up.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(06-22-2018, 10:00 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Tariffs never work in the long haul; I see no reason for this time to be different.  

(06-23-2018, 07:43 AM)Cecil Wrote: I agree, tariffs do not work for the long haul.

You have to be careful w/ statements like that.

Until the federal income tax was established, our federal gov't was funded entirely by tariffs.

Beyond that, when making such broad generalizations, you really have to define what constitutes success.

Most people recall some of what they learned in econ 101/102, where their professor was considering tariffs in very simple terms.  It is all mind-numbingly simplified and assumes we have infinite t (time) and non-hostile trading partners.

What we've witnessed unfold in the US over the last several decades should give anyone that has accepted modern-day economic theory at least some cause for pause.

Because only in the very longest term (perhaps another 100 years) does it even offer a hope (hope, no guarantee) for maximizing anything.

Until then, it is basically a plan for worldwide wealth redistribution.
(06-23-2018, 06:00 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Didn't you buy this and pay for it with the thought that it would ship and that is the full price or did they tell you when you ordered it that the price could go up before they ship it. Sort of like bait and switch

By law, they can't charge your card until it ships.
Being as how I need to purchase a 8" jointer, when will they be back in stock?