Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%
(06-25-2018, 01:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It would be nice if you started this in the basement to get everyones opinion since this is where it belongs.
Yes

Not everyone goes into the basement, or even wants to go.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-25-2018, 01:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If more discussion is needed about this it needs to be in the basement since this area is not off topics.

Off topics?

Many many threads involve off-topic discussions one way or another as the threads progress. Where do we draw the line in saying it is off topic? I think this is no different from a normal conversation as we drift and shift. We don't usually begin a conversation by saying, "We will talk about topic A for 20 minutes and if anyone wants to talk about something off-topic, please go to the basement...."

Unless it turns into a shouting match, I will say let the discussion flow and it will come back to topic if people are interested in going back.

Simon
(06-24-2018, 08:52 AM)WJB Wrote: Tapper, GE was not removed from the big board (NYSE), it was replaced on the DOW.

You're right of course. No intent to mislead, just the wrong entity. You get the point, GE was replaced by Walgreen I believe. GE has been an "institution" in this country forever. Under Jack Welch they were a world-beater. Now they are in the toilet, all because of Jeff Immelt, who followed Welch - leadership counts.

Doug
Why don’t you build the stuff in America and give the jobs to your neighbors? China has been screwing us for over 20 years. They steal our intellectual property. China is slowly gaining control of the world’s technology companies many of whom produce chips and software that control our military defense systems. Wake up Papagrizzly!
Photo 
#XXXXXXXXX" you are totally wrong in your personal attack on PapaGrizz.

If you have ever met PapaGrizz you will find him to be a nice guy and honorable man.   

PapaGrizz, was being very nice and supportive to inform us woodworkers about the possibilities of 25% price increases BEFORE they occur. 

PapaGrizz also does not manufacture the tools he sales.  I am quite sure he would be happy to sell USA made machinery if they could be both affordable and competitive with off-shore machinery.

The international situation with money, imports, tariffs, politics and etc, is so complicated that there is no one solution. There is not one person on this planet that can solve the situation. One person can certainly make everything much worse for everyone.  

Personally, I am lucky to live here in USA, lucky to be within 7 miles of a Grizzly Warehouse, lucky to know many of the salesmen and women who work there, lucky to have access to such great service, lucky to have met PapaGrizz  several times.   I am lucky even after the 25% increases that will happen not only at Grizzly but at at every tool store, warehouse, hardware store, new car sales and about 30,000 other products that will be affected by these tariff wars.  

Nuff said.
(06-30-2018, 03:28 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Why don’t you build the stuff in America and give the jobs to your neighbors?

China is one problem, but don't blame everything on her.

When was the last time you were willing to pay more for a Made in USA item that had a competition offer from Asia or Mexico, or South America costing 40% less? Are you using a US made computer to go on this forum? Why not?

Grizzly is in the same position: It has few alternatives, because no one in the US makes the machines it sells. Delta is assembled in the States with imported parts.

The trade wars will not change anything as far as consumers are concerned, even though they are the collateral damage.

We will see how American businesses, including farmers, will suffer while the same will happen to the counterparts in China, the EU and neighbors in Canada and Mexico. This is a real trade war, not a prank call.

Simon
(06-30-2018, 11:14 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: China is one problem, but don't blame everything on her.

When was the last time you were willing to pay more for a Made in USA item that had a competition offer from Asia or Mexico, or South America costing 40% less? Are you using a US made computer to go on this forum? Why not?

Grizzly is in the same position: It has few alternatives, because no one in the US makes the machines it sells...

Simon

There is sad irony in the fact that Grizzly’s success is one of the reasons that Delta and the other former domestic manufacturers of equipment have gone offshore or are just gone altogether. Consumers voted with their wallets then, and now they will pay the piper.
The trade war has been raging for decades. While we held our manufacturers to high standards for employee and environmental and consumer safety, we didn’t require any such thing from China.

Crazy stupid we were. Time to wake up.
(06-30-2018, 11:39 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: . While we held our manufacturers to high standards for employee and environmental and consumer safety, we didn’t require any such thing from China.

True. But we also have min. wages, higher wages in general , unions, benefits, and other operating costs, burdens that Chinese and many Asian producers don't have to worry about.

Anyone who thinks manufacturers will move their production bases back to America because of the trade wars with China and our allies need to think twice.

Simon
(06-26-2018, 10:28 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Off topics?

Many many threads involve off-topic discussions one way or another as the threads progress. Where do we draw the line in saying it is off topic? I think this is no different from a normal conversation as we drift and shift. We don't usually begin a conversation by saying, "We will talk about topic A for 20 minutes and if anyone wants to talk about something off-topic, please go to the basement...."

Unless it turns into a shouting match, I will say let the discussion flow and it will come back to topic if people are interested in going back.

Simon

The mods do and then a good thread is locked if you remember and I did not want it this way for this one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.