Hedge trimmers
Looking for a good electric hedge trimmer. Anyone better than another???
John T.
Have had two, both B&D. Older one wore out, mainly because the spaces for the openings were too close and it was difficult to use---taking twice to three times as long to trim old privet hedges.

The new one(bought this year at HD) has much wider spaces---takes much less time to trim the same hedges---and I can trim lower(bigger twigs since the older one caused knob ends).

There is one down side---the wider spaces are wide enough to allow the extension cord to-----well-------I have a lot of practice repairing automotive wiring, which comes in handy when repairing extension cords.
Crazy
Uhoh
Sigh

Oh, the method---strip the wires, slide on a section of shrink wrap, solder, shrink wrap, tape w/electrical tape. Lasts a long time with almost zero chance of short/separation/etc. I have a cord I repaired over 20 years ago---still fine.
(06-21-2018, 11:46 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Looking for a good electric hedge trimmer. Anyone better than another???

I researched this issue a while back and if I remember, the answer is a manufacturer called "little wonder". I bought one and used it to cut several hundred feet of what might be one of the toughest hedges(privot). At one time, I mounted up 200-300 feet of electric cord on a hose reel to manage the cord.  THe obvious problem was that I(like many) cut the cord a few times and then after a friend loaned me his stihl gas trimmer, it was all over...I went gas. It wears me out but with that stihl, I can cut three times faster. I become crazed!!!!

Interestingly, I brought out the little wonder electric last weekend to cut a much less intimidating hedge(yew) and it reminded me of how nice that unit really is. Well balanced, relatively light and if I remember, double sided/double bladed or somethign desirable like that. Before I bought the little wonder, I went through a few other electric ones like the Black and Decker and quickly realized they were all childs play compared to the little wonder.
I bought electric trimmers last year instead of gas powered since we only use them 2 or 3 times per year and then for maybe a half an hour at a time. Since I already have DeWalt drills that use the 20 volt battery, I bought a trimmer that uses the same battery. So far it seems to work as advertised and about as fast as gas powered trimmers I've used before. Definitely recommend the DeWalt.
(06-22-2018, 10:06 AM)bsheffer Wrote: I researched this issue a while back and if I remember, the answer is a manufacturer called "little wonder". I bought one and used it to cut several hundred feet of what might be one of the toughest hedges(privot). At one time, I mounted up 200-300 feet of electric cord on a hose reel to manage the cord.  THe obvious problem was that I(like many) cut the cord a few times and then after a friend loaned me his stihl gas trimmer, it was all over...I went gas. It wears me out but with that stihl, I can cut three times faster. I become crazed!!!!

Interestingly, I brought out the little wonder electric last weekend to cut a much less intimidating hedge(yew) and it reminded me of how nice that unit really is. Well balanced, relatively light and if I remember, double sided/double bladed or somethign desirable like that. Before I bought the little wonder, I went through a few other electric ones like the Black and Decker and quickly realized they were all childs play compared to the little wonder.

Where did you get the Little Wonder? I too only use 2 to 3 times a year and small hedges so no gas powered needed. I do not have battery operated tools so the cost would be too great. Just need something instead of hand trimmers that I use now. I have a small B&D but it is useless. Stalls and switch is shot and blades are dull.
John T.
(06-23-2018, 10:33 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Where did you get the Little Wonder? I too only use 2 to 3 times a year and small hedges so no gas powered needed. I do not have battery operated tools so the cost would be too great. Just need something instead of hand trimmers that I use now. I have a small B&D but it is useless. Stalls and switch is shot and blades are dull.

Check the online price before you get excited.   Roly
(06-21-2018, 11:46 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Looking for a good electric hedge trimmer. Anyone better than another???

I have this and I love it. The battery will last longer than I need it to. I can easily use it for 30 minutes with still a half charge remaining.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-Volt-...gJWjfD_BwE

I also got the matching string trimmer that uses the same batteries.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(06-27-2018, 08:37 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I have this and I love it. The battery will last longer than I need it to. I can easily use it for 30 minutes with still a half charge remaining.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-Volt-...gJWjfD_BwE

I also got the matching string trimmer that uses the same batteries.

Way too many bad reviews. I will stay away from battery operated garden tools .
John T.
(06-27-2018, 10:31 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Way too many bad reviews. I will stay away from battery operated garden tools .

Suit yourself. Works great for me.

I'll be done while you're still getting the extension cords out and plugged in.
Wink
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
This one little more expensive since comes with a charger but they also sell more powerfull models. Reviews look pretty good to me.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-volt-...1000180461

When my over 20+ year old B&D trimmer goes south will seriously think about getting a Kobalt trimmer. Other than charging the battery almost no maintence. Not sure what will do with extension cords.

I bought a Kobalt electric model lawn mower same brand after taking gas model back that did not run without cutting out even after taking it back for service. Think had to pay another $65 dollars. I do get a 10% discount at Lowes & Home Depot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130...1000178355

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-volt-...1000192703

Use my rifding mower for majority of yard and use a push mower for about ten minutes.
Bill