Wood in Charlotte, NC area
Another place no one has mentioned is The Hardwood Store of North Carolina in Gibsonville: https://www.hardwoodstore.com. Wall Lumber is great. I've ordered from them, but I've never been to the store. I've been to the Hardwood Store and they have a very good selection of both American hardwoods and exotic,and their prices are pretty good. It's a little bit East of Greensboro and a lot closer to you than Mayodan.
(06-23-2018, 07:56 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Another place no one has mentioned is The Hardwood Store of North Carolina in Gibsonville: https://www.hardwoodstore.com. Wall Lumber is great. I've ordered from them, but I've never been to the store. I've been to the Hardwood Store and they have a very good selection of both American hardwoods and exotic,and their prices are pretty good. It's a little bit East of Greensboro and a lot closer to you than Mayodan.

Hi Hank - have not been to the Hardwood Store of NC - but really not a LOT closer than Mayodan - I'm 90 mins from Charlotte - the map below shows my distance to Mayodan vs. Gibonsville - Mayodan is likely a little closer so about the same time driving from Charlotte.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
West Penn Hardwoods in Conover, NC used to be in Olean, NY, and they were good to deal with then.  I assume they still are.  
https://www.westpennhardwoods.com/
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Advantage Trim and Lumber is in Grover, NC. 

I buy from their Florida facility, great folks. www.advantagelumber.com
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(06-23-2018, 08:27 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Hank - have not been to the Hardwood Store of NC - but really not a LOT closer than Mayodan - I'm 90 mins from Charlotte - the map below shows my distance to Mayodan vs. Gibonsville - Mayodan is likely a little closer so about the same time driving from Charlotte.  Dave
Smile

Dave, you are correct - my bad. According to Google Maps, Mayodan is 112 miles from Charlotte. Gibsonville is 108 miles from Charlotte. I guess if you were walking, Gibsonville would be a LOT closer, but in reality, they're about equidistant.

I didn't know West Penn Hardwoods had relocated form Olean NY to Conover NC. They have always been a very good hardwood supplier. I may drive up one day and check them out. Conover is only 44 miles from Charlotte.

Also, there is a sawmill in Iron Station NC that did custom milling and kiln drying for years. However, Kyle, the owner, posted recently that he has retired and no longer does custom milling or drying for the public. He will, however have walnut, cherry and maple slabs available for public sale between September and December. It's probably worth checking out. He always had very nice stock. Here's a link to his announcement.

https://www.sawmillnc.com

Iron Station is 26 miles Northwest of Charlotte.
There's a fellow in Lawndale, NC that has a woodmizer and saws local hardwoods part time. He lists in Craigslist pretty frequently. Just put 'Lumber Lawndale' in Craigslist search and he should pop up.
He's a really nice guy, good prices and will go out of his to help you if you are looking for something special. He cut a load of quartersawn sycamore for me, the stuff was wonderful and the price was terrific.
(06-22-2018, 11:03 AM)meikj Wrote: Folks,

I recently moved from Chicago to Charlotte, NC and am looking for a source of wood.  I got used to running in to Owl Hardwoods if I needed anything special (I know, somewhat pricey but the selection was awesome).

So far I haven’t found a source for hardwood lumber down here!

Any suggestions?  I’m actually Southeast of Charlotte in the Waxhaw area.

A few local sawmills/sawyers, but most without kilns.

Thanks,

John M

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone!  Still finding my way around North Carolina.  There is a lot to discover.  I think I will head out towards Hickory to check out West Penn and Catawba next.  

Any other good recommendations for woodworking to see?

— John
(06-26-2018, 10:53 AM)meikj Wrote: Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone!  Still finding my way around North Carolina.  There is a lot to discover.  I think I will head out towards Hickory to check out West Penn and Catawba next.  

Any other good recommendations for woodworking to see?

— John

Hi again John - if you come up to the Winston-Salem area, a visit to Old Salem & MESDA might be of interest?  Salem was the major early community in the Moravian settlement of the area in the 1750-60s - the town is well restored and many different buildings can be visited (period costume guides discuss the times, including woodworking in the Brother's House).

MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) is a museum that contains several dozen 'galleries', mainly period rooms decorated w/ items of the times including a LOT of furniture - reservations for guided tours (of various lengths can be made) - check the link HERE if you want to view items in the vast collection - a couple pics below to pique your interest.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Dave, that looks really cool! Definitely on my short list of places to visit.
(06-26-2018, 11:07 AM)giradman Wrote: Hi again John - if you come up to the Winston-Salem area, a visit to Old Salem & MESDA might be of interest?  Salem was the major early community in the Moravian settlement of the area in the 1750-60s - the town is well restored and many different buildings can be visited (period costume guides discuss the times, including woodworking in the Brother's House).

MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) is a museum that contains several dozen 'galleries', mainly period rooms decorated w/ items of the times including a LOT of furniture - reservations for guided tours (of various lengths can be made) - check the link HERE if you want to view items in the vast collection - a couple pics below to pique your interest.  Dave
Smile

Take a whole day to visit Old Salem.  Make a reservation to visit the museum.  It is worth it!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe