Queen bed frame - buy or build own - ideas?
I built my own queen sized bed frame years ago - had some nice 5/4 quarter sawn white oak that I used for the rails (finished just under 1" thick, but I tend to overbuild).  Made a roughly 1.5 by 1.5 board as a shelf for the slats that I used dowels and glue to attach to the rails and then set the slats on the ledge.   I also used QSWO for the corner posts, but used one of those miter router bits so I could have the quarter sawn face on all 4 sides of the post.  I used some soft maple for the slats.

I used this hardware from Rockler to join things together  Rockler bed hardware

While it is a bigger project, it is mostly smaller pieces that are fairly easy to handle. The most difficult part was cutting the mortices in the end of the long rails for the bed hardware. Mine has been in use for over 15 years now and is just as solid as the day I put it in the house.   It may take you a little more time to build it, but you will get exactly what you want, undoubtedly better quality at a much better price.   Might be something someone will want when you are done with it....

Good Luck!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker