Queen bed frame - buy or build own - ideas?
(06-23-2018, 11:31 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: You did a nice job on those tables. I don't see that you should have any difficulty building a bed frame after those tables. If those tables are going to go on either side of the bed, I think I'd design something that goes along with them better than the bed you show. Still, if you like that frame and choose to build it, I don't think it should be too difficult.

Thanks for bringing up this bed. I modeled it up to show my son. I'll see if he wants one like it.

Thanks Dave - tables are meant to be next to the 'new' bed - would be nice to at least design a modest head board w/ walnut/oak features even if I decide on the Rockler base - our current beds have the low metal frames, so not a big issue for me.

I like your 'model' for a bed - good luck w/ the project, if you decide to proceed (and will look forward to some pics) - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(06-23-2018, 11:56 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: On the Rockler I-Semble frame, it is one of the sturdier frames I have put together.  The slates do not move and the steel is a socket and and insert on the metal mating part.  Then Bolted together.  We were thinking of building the storage bed like this one: http://www.rockler.com/i-semble-platform...mechanisms So I would think it is sturdy, and the frame mates up to these lifting pistons. My 12 year old is not small he is already 5' 8" and about 140 Lbs. I do not hear him moving around in the bed.  By the way he just turned 12 this month.  They grow to be tall in my family. The 19 year old is almost 6' 6". Dan

Thanks again for the comments and clarification of the Rockler frame - that might work for me w/ the addition of a headboard that incorporates walnut and oak to blend in w/ my end tables - will return to Rockler and look at that item again.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(06-24-2018, 01:13 AM)ianab Wrote: The thing about a large larger project like that is to get it broken down into the individual components. Then you know you have to make X different pieces. one or 2 at time, and stack them up for eventual assembly.  When you look at it this way, there are probably less individual pieces to make than there is in the bedside tables. OK, they are bigger, so make sure you can physically handle them etc. But those big rails are generally just a single straight piece of wood. 

As far as the hardware goes, I don't use it. I make my main pieces as laminations. This makes it easy to create big mortise and tenon joins into the head and foot boards. These can then be slotted together and secured with removable screws, or even wooden pegs if needed. The rails are laminated from the same thickness wood, so the tenons match up perfectly. 

If you are up to it, I'd build. That way you can get a matching look. The bed you posted looks to have been made from "finger jointed" wood, probably some random foreign species. OK, it's a real hardwood, but you can probably source better wood locally and do better.

Thanks for the comments above - the size of the project is my concern (and no one near to really help me) and not so much the design, so will need to think more about it - OTOH, as suggested in my last posting, a compromise would be to build a headboard w/ a steel frame?  Just another thought at the moment.  Dave
Smile

P.S.  there are some short videos from the link to that bed pictured - the description used on the website is 'upcycle', i.e. new wood but 'shorts' that would likely be discarded - described as walnut, and one of the videos shows manufacture of the long pieces using finger joints - just not willing to spend $1200 on the item.
Piedmont North Carolina
or you can buy this bed from IKEA if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09247573/
(06-24-2018, 09:15 AM)giradman Wrote: ...OTOH, as suggested in my last posting, a compromise would be to build a headboard w/ a steel frame? 

No shame in that.  I've done one like that, and several with the head and foot and rails.
My problem with big projects is not the size of the project, but the size of the component that I have to bring up from the basement.  (I am also 70 years old.)

Keep in mind that it is entirely possible to make the headboard a stand alone item that hangs from the wall with a French cleat.  In place of a footboard, a 5' wide bench at the foot of the bed is very handy for dressing (especially for donning shoes and socks).

That breaks things down to smaller components.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the additional comments - kind of decided that a metal frame is my best option (frame skirts can always hide the metal parts which we use on two beds) - then decide on making a head board - like the idea of a wall attachment.  

I'm also still looking for a complete solution - I've built a half dozen projects this year so far (half for our Unitarian fellowship and half for my house) and have several more planned, so 'throwing in' a queen bed frame was not in my list - found another one HERE w/ pic below - the price is certainly right and the reviews excellent - like the lines and could possibly add some hardwood between those horizontal rails on the head board, if desired - there are SO many online options - 
Yes   Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
The one thing about buying a bed pre-built is the size is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be.  With our old store bought bed frame, it was like sitting on the floor every time I got into it. When we got a new mattress (the Purple one) I built a very functional and tall but not very attractive platform.  Both my wife and I are tall and it works great for us. The frame is covered with mattress, skirt and covers, so it doesn't really matter so much what it looks like.  The headboard is the only part you will really see.
(06-27-2018, 08:02 AM)stav Wrote: The one thing about buying a bed pre-built is the size is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be.  With our old store bought bed frame, it was like sitting on the floor every time I got into it. When we got a new mattress (the Purple one) I built a very functional and tall but not very attractive platform.  Both my wife and I are tall and it works great for us. The frame is covered with mattress, skirt and covers, so it doesn't really matter so much what it looks like.  The headboard is the only part you will really see.

Thanks for your comments - had the same thoughts w/ a skirt, which would nicely hide the Rockler platform w/ me making a headboard - still thinking and no hurry at the moment.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I also went with the headboard only idea, but then built the side tables to match.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood