Grizzly Jointer with sprial head
It is my understanding that there are two different spiral heads.  One has carbide knives arranged in a spiral, but each cutter is set at a right angle.  The other is a Byrd Shelix, in which the cutters are set at an angle, as well as arranged in a spiral.  Am I correct on this.

Does anyone know which head Grizzly uses?  Specifically I am considering G0656X.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The Byrd cutters are set at an angle.  I have a Grizzly head and a Byrd head and I don't see a difference in cut quality.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
My Delta planer has a Byrd head and the Grizzly jointer has the spiral head. I do not see any difference in the quality of cut. I haven't used any highly figured woods except QSWO and again I saw no difference in the finish cut.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(06-24-2018, 07:23 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: The Byrd cutters are set at an angle.  I have a Grizzly head and a Byrd head and I don't see a difference in cut quality.

I also have two Grizzly-made machines with different heads, a 15" Shopfox planer with the Griz head and an 8" Shopfox jointer with a Byrd head. Cannot tell the difference.

Doug
(06-24-2018, 07:15 AM)Cecil Wrote: It is my understanding that there are two different spiral heads.  One has carbide knives arranged in a spiral, but each cutter is set at a right angle.  The other is a Byrd Shelix, in which the cutters are set at an angle, as well as arranged in a spiral.  Am I correct on this.

Does anyone know which head Grizzly uses?  Specifically I am considering G0656X.

I've been looking at their !2" jointers - one has a head with 60 carbide inserts, the other has a head with 96 carbide inserts.  There is a different pattern to how the inserts are placed, I have no idea what difference it makes in terms of cut quality.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have Grizzly’s G1021x2 which does have a spiral carbide insert head and the cutters are set at an angle much like the Shelix (but isn't an official Shelix head) - one of the reasons I selected this model.  IIRC, the cutterhead is made in Taiwan but the inserts themselves are sourced from Germany.  Interestingly, I thought this planer was discontinued and was dropped from their lineup, but I now see it in their online catalog, albeit OOS.  I purchased mine years ago though (anybody remember that crazy Windows LIVE 25% eBay discount?), so am unsure who their cutting head supplier is now.  FWIW, I have a Shelix in my 8” jointer and the surfaces produced by either are indistinguishable.  I took some pics of the Grizzly cutterhead when it first arrived:
[Image: IMG_1738.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1739.jpg]