Intermittent shorts
have got to be one of the biggest PITA to deal with. Rooftop AC unit with the thermostat 2 floors below. Control circuit normally pulls just under .5 amps. Every once in a while it decides to pull 14.5. The control transformer has a 3 amp circuit breaker integral. It is not happy. I have disconnected 14 yards of factory wiring harness for unused options. I don't know if I have found it yet. Just venting.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I feel your pain. Give me broken or fixed- thus sometimes broken stuff is a pain

I usually find the contactors coil (or relay) over drawing, rain or condensate getting onto the lv wiring, a sensor wire touching copper, the dreaded rodent chewed wires way back in a far away corner of the hardest place to get to on Earth, a circuit board or circuit board with a lizard stuck behind it. A LV wire, either R Y G O shorting to ground and the common side grounded at the transformer.

I'll resort to fusing each LV wire separately just before insanity sets in.

Shouldn't take that long.
Laugh
I picked up 10 1 amp fuses this morning.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Intermittent shorts:

[Image: 61f3ieslI%2BL._UX342_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I hate intermittent problems.  It's aggravating when it won't stay broken long enough to fix it. More so when you've found the problem and fixed it a half dozen times; all different problems and still not "the" problem.

"If it taint broken; it don't need fix'n". Not really.
"My roof only leaks when it rains, and I'm not getting on the roof during a thunderstorm." Possible excuse but still not the solution.

However my wife gave me a special can huggie for Fathers Day that tops those, and might hit just a little too close to home. It says " If a man says he will fix something, he will...
There's no need to remind him every six months."
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"