forstner bit set advise
Have to decide what you are using for and materials using on. 3 different teeth configuration and each has its advantages and disadvantages. I stick with the saw tooth and have the Freud line. I did start buying another brand but can not think of the name as I sit here in front of this computer and too lazy to walk down to the shop. But they too are very good. I will look.
John T.
(06-25-2018, 01:57 PM)DCM Wrote: I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

I got mine from Lee Valley and they said Lifetime warranty I think, but no matter they are well worth the money I spent for them years ago.

Also like ALL bits keep them sharp and never get them to hot and will last you the rest of your life.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Stumpy Nubs has a decent piece on Forstner bit types

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(06-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Cecil Wrote: Stumpy Nubs has a decent piece on Forstner bit types

VIDEO DELETED - EXCELLENT

Thanks for the video link - just took a look @ my Forstner bit collections - own a 7-piece Freud set w/ continuous rim - several do not seem to be cutting well anymore; also have a much larger (2 1/8" top size) set from Woodworker's Supply, likely Taiwanese/Chinese bought years ago - also continuous rim and not the best - I was impressed w/ the presentation w/ the 'wavy' rim a good compromise (i.e. vs. continuous & saw-edge) - the presenter recommended the Fisch brand (shown below on Amazon - not cheap for a boxed 7-piece set, BUT the description there is impressive).

SO, curious about thoughts on the rim-designs, i.e. is the wavy rim a good option?  Anyone own the Fisch brand?  If so, impressions?  I use Forstner bits a lot, so always looking for another and better choice - thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

ADDENDUM:  Just looking @ other price offerings of the Fisch 7-bit set - found an apparent bargain on Acme Tools (see 2nd image below), i.e. same sizes but are these the same quality from this manufacturer?  The Acme offering does not have the black lower shafts - don't really need a box if I can save $50 or so (shipping is free there).

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(06-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Cecil Wrote: Stumpy Nubs has a decent piece on Forstner bit types

Excellent video and very informative.  Thanks for posting it.
(06-26-2018, 02:01 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: I have some Morris Wood Tool Forstners from my routerbits.com acquisition.  Larger sizes but should probably put them up for sale.

Indeed you should....I find a need for a larger one every once in a while.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Never heard of the wavy rim bit. Thanks for that.
(06-25-2018, 01:57 PM)DCM Wrote: I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

I have dozens of forstners but my "go to" set is Bad Dog.....Best ones I have ever used and I also have a set of Bad Dog twist drills that will drill a hole in just about anything.
Crazy
Big Grin

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Dog-Rover-Bit...B00B1VFVO2
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a Freud set that I really like. I think it had around 15 bits and was about $220.
(06-28-2018, 11:36 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
I have dozens of forstners but my "go to" set is Bad Dog.....Best ones I have ever used and I also have a set of Bad Dog twist drills that will drill a hole in just about anything.
Crazy  
Big Grin

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Dog-Rover-Bit...B00B1VFVO2

I remember seeing those guys at the Tampa wood working show. They would drill a file and then go after other stuff to show how good the bits were.  They were pricey though.