forstner bit set advise
(06-28-2018, 12:17 PM)stav Wrote: I remember seeing those guys at the Tampa wood working show. They would drill a file and then go after other stuff to show how good the bits were.  They were pricey though.

Yep, and that's where I bought mine..The demo was pretty impressive and the unusual thing was, he ran the drill at high speed, instead of slow, as you might think was appropriate with similar tools..I don't have any files to drill, but I have drilled holes in saw plates with no problem..
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-25-2018, 01:57 PM)DCM Wrote: I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

Stick with HSS (high speed steel) for longevity and cut quality.  Veritas has a nice set.
You will clearly get the best results with a high quality set, but if you need to save money, keep in mind that Forstner bits are relatively easy to sharpen with a file.  If dull, they'll overheat: carbon steel can lose temper and become worthless.  High speed steel avoids softening, but sharp bits cut cleaner, faster, and cooler.  Even high carbon steel will work well and last a reasonable amount of time if you keep them sharp.
(06-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Cecil Wrote: Stumpy Nubs has a decent piece on Forstner bit types

Thanks for sharing this vid-- very educational!

Colin
I'm going to be a little contra here. I suggest you not buy a set. Instead, start with two or three of your most used sizes and add bits by ones or twos as you need them or as you can afford them. Pretty soon you'll have a really nice "set" of forstners with out the up-front cost of a whole set. I did that, experimenting as as went along until I found several brands that I liked, and bought those thereafter. I probably have 15 or 20 forstners from 3/16 up to 3" without much financial pain. I keep them in their original packaging and hang them on peg board next to my drill press.