1955-ish Craftsman disc/belt sander help?
Question 
I've reached out on OWWM, but am putting feelers out everywhere for advice:

Last night mine threw a rubber liner on one of the rollers.  Can any of you suggest where I might find a replacement liner(s) or roller(s)?  It's a 103.22350 model, if that helps.

(edit)

I've found that the part is called "pulley tire," part #19018, but it's unavailable. Ugh.
Semper fi,
Brad

Try a bicycle innertube. Use some adhesive then turn the innertube piece inside out and roll it onto the roller over itself.
Also, I doubt you really need a tire on it. I have one of the same sanders here, that hasn't had any on it, in fact I doubt it ever did, but it worked just fine. I no longer use it though, and was thinking about finding it a new home.
No tire? Hmmm. I'll give that a try.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-26-2018, 08:20 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I've reached out on OWWM, but am putting feelers out everywhere for advice:

Last night mine threw a rubber liner on one of the rollers.  Can any of you suggest where I might find a replacement liner(s) or roller(s)?  It's a 103.22350 model, if that helps.

(edit)

I've found that the part is called "pulley tire," part #19018, but it's unavailable.  Ugh.

You may not need the rubber cover on the outside, just the metal roller itself may be sufficient.  One thing to keep in mind though is that there does need to be a crown on both rollers so the belt tracks straight and doesnt wander too much.  On my old powermatic, I ended up using some of the wider blue painters tape and laid it on in  3 sections, two side by side and one in the middle.  I wrapped it around several times to build up the crown, its been on over ten years and still works fine.  After a while, the tape turns hard as a rock and this is just fine.
(06-26-2018, 12:58 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: You may not need the rubber cover on the outside, just the metal roller itself may be sufficient.  One thing to keep in mind though is that there does need to be a crown on both rollers so the belt tracks straight and doesnt wander too much.  On my old powermatic, I ended up using some of the wider blue painters tape and laid it on in  3 sections, two side by side and one in the middle.  I wrapped it around several times to build up the crown, its been on over ten years and still works fine.  After a while, the tape turns hard as a rock and this is just fine.
I have one that has electrical tape wrapped around it..slightly "crowned" in the center...been that way for years no problem.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I ran it yesterday with no roller and found that it slipped a bit unless I tightened it further than I'm comfortable with.

I'll put some tape on it, like you suggested, Timberwolf. Might go buy some bicycle grip tape for it.

Thanks for the help. I'm already trying to come up with money for a new motor for my planer!
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-27-2018, 09:22 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I ran it yesterday with no roller and found that it slipped a bit unless I tightened it further than I'm comfortable with.

I'll put some tape on it, like you suggested, Timberwolf.  Might go buy some bicycle grip tape for it.

Thanks for the help.  I'm already trying to come up with money for a new motor for my planer!
Best electrical tape I have ever used is Gorilla Tape....The tape end loosens up on most all brands but not the Gorilla..It stays put!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

How about heat shrink sleeving?   McMaster-Carr has several, such a extra thick.
Personally I think the heat shrink is an excellent idea. Have you given any thought to using an aerosol type Rhino Bed Liner spray? Tough as nails that stuff. A lot of my jobs we used it on the toes and back heels of our boots for extra protection to the boot itself. Works like a charm and will outlast the boot itself most times. I used some on a truck bed and it held up beautifully despite gravel and soil loading. Get the hard stuff, not soft. That way you can give it a light sanding to smooth it out a little before you put the pulley back on. Or just leave it on, tape it off good and use a drill on the inside lip to rotate them while you spray. Something like a dremel bit with the rubber drum for the mini sanding sleeves would work well, if have any. It's not super textured so you may even prefer it that way for grab.

Realistically, tape's probably best, quick and cheapest. Inner tube is great one too. Lots of good ideas here. I'm just tossin' ideas in the air - food for thought. I have one of these sanders also that I'm fixing up. No rubber on the pulleys of mine. I don't think it came with them as it's a closet queen and looks like it was barely ever used. Just needs cleaning and mounted with a motor when I have time or can't put it off any longer. Good luck!
(06-27-2018, 09:22 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I ran it yesterday with no roller and found that it slipped a bit unless I tightened it further than I'm comfortable with.

I'll put some tape on it, like you suggested, Timberwolf.  Might go buy some bicycle grip tape for it.

Thanks for the help.  I'm already trying to come up with money for a new motor for my planer!

Brad, if you decide to use tape, I suggest putting a few extra "wraps" right in the center of the roller to give it a slight "crown" effect..This will really help the belt's tracking ability..It will stay centered and not have a tendency to "walk" off the roller. If you are taping both rollers, I suggest only "crowning" the roller that is adjustable..Crowning both "may" make tracking kinda "squirrelly"
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset