Swamp Oak
I had an Oak tree taken down last winter because the roots were tearing up my drive way that I'm going to be replacing in the future.  I hated taking the tree down but it had to go.  I hired a guy who brings a saw mill to your home and saw up the Oak tree for me....$400 later I had more Oak than I will know what to do with.

In conversation he told me this is what he calls a "swamp" Oak or an Oak tree common in residential neighborhoods (sh*t oak was mentioned).  He said I would be disappointed with this lumber if I wanted to make furniture out of it.  I went ahead and had him saw it up anyway.

Today I pulled a few boards out to check to moisture content (5/4 boards are @ 11% mc after drying since last November) and poured some mineral spirits on one of them.  I was quite pleased with what I saw.

My plans are to fabricate a kiln to dry this wood to proper moisture levels then store it (somewhere...
Rolleyes )
It's a white oak, and I'd take all of I can get. You got a really nice stack; I think the sawyer was just hoping you'd give him some as part of the payment,
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Good looking board there, though that it not swamp oak that I'm familiar with, as I've milled swamp oak when I had my WM band mill.
Swamp oak literally falls apart (grain separates) as soon as it catches some warm sunlight and starts drying.
Not sure which species you have there as I can't see the bark well.
There are 16 trees in the white oak family, and 8 trees in the red oak family.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Got to love those regional common names. There are 3 trees commonly called "Swamp Oak", they are all totally different, and possibly not even what you have. 

No matter, if they have air dried down to ~12%, and are still looking good, then you are good to build with them. Bring some inside to acclimate. Should dry down to interior moisture in another month or so.

Red and white oak can be told apart by trying to blow through a small piece like a straw. White Oak, you can't, which is why it makes better barrels.
An employee at my local botanical garden told me this was a water oak (I don't think it's a water oak).  I always thought it was a pin oak which I know I'm wrong.  Here is a picture of the bark.

Here is a picture of the dried leafs.

I'm leaning towards a willow oak.
Leaves sure look like Willow Oak, which is a red oak species and a common ornamental (that often grows too big)

Which means you have a big stack of perfectly good Red Oak. Enjoy. If you buy generic "Red Oak", it could be that species.
(06-27-2018, 05:01 AM)ianab Wrote: Leaves sure look like Willow Oak, which is a red oak species and a common ornamental (that often grows too big)

Which means you have a big stack of perfectly good Red Oak. Enjoy. If you buy generic "Red Oak", it could be that species.

+1 on the Willow Oak.

Yes, not Pin Oak as the limbs protruding are too big and not enough of them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I can't tell you what you have but you seem to have gotten a good price for that large of a stack. Congrats on that.
(06-27-2018, 07:47 AM)stav Wrote: I can't tell you what you have but you seem to have gotten a good price for that large of a stack. Congrats on that.

Well...the milling was $400 but having the tree removed was $2,200.  But the tree was coming down no matter what and rather than give the firewood away or have the tree service haul it off I'm going to make use of the wood and most likely have nice oak kitchen cabinets and some furniture for my home.
Well, did not know that there were so many 'oaks', so this 'willow variety' piqued my interest - some description quoted below (Source) along w/ a few pics - one of the green leaves and another from the quoted source which has a LOT more information.  Dave
Smile

Quote:Color/Appearance: Has a light to medium reddish-brown color, though there can be a fair amount of variation in color. Conversely, White Oak tends to be slightly more olive-colored, but is by no means a reliable method of determining the type of oak. 
Grain/Texture: Has medium-to-large pores and a fairly coarse grain.
Rot Resistance: Red oaks such as Willow Oak do not have the level of decay and rot resistance that White Oaks possess. Durability should be considered minimal.
Common Uses: Cabinetry, furniture, interior trim, flooring, and veneer.
Comments: Willow Oak falls into the red oak group, and shares many of the same traits as Red Oak (Quercus rubra). Red Oak, along with its brother White Oak, are commonly used domestic lumber species. Hard, strong, and moderately priced, Red Oak presents an exceptional value to woodworkers—which explains why it is so widely used in cabinet and furniture making.

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina