Protecting Corners From Cat Damage
our cat has started clawing on some corners in our house.  Aside from de-clawing the cat, any suggestions for deterrence or providing something sacrificial?  I'm thinking of gluing twine around some 3" PVC, then cutting out slice of the PVC to create a bumper of sorts to attach to the corners.  I'm not sure my wife will go for that look.
(06-27-2018, 12:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: our cat has started clawing on some corners in our house.  Aside from de-clawing the cat, any suggestions for deterrence or providing something sacrificial?  I'm thinking of gluing twine around some 3" PVC, then cutting out slice of the PVC to create a bumper of sorts to attach to the corners.  I'm not sure my wife will go for that look.

We've never had problems with our many cats using anything smooth as a scratch post; they much prefer the couch, carpet, etc., and unfinished wood.  We have a scratch post and scratch block, onto which I sprinkle some catnip now and then.  They go nuts with that for awhile.  We did have one cat that would not stop using the furniture, no matter what, so he got declawed.  

Give your cats an easy and enticing alternative for scratching.  If the corners they have been scratching on are now rough you need to make them smooth by painting, varnishing, last resort applying clear plastic corner guards.  

John
Clawing the sheetrock?

How about those clear plastic shields businesses install on corners? 

Or these?
(06-27-2018, 01:17 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Clawing the sheetrock?

How about those clear plastic shields businesses install on corners? 

Or these?

she's mostly clawing the wood corner trim that is on the corners.  some sheetrock but I think that is ancillary damage to her clawing the wood trim.  the wood is also smooth, or at least as smooth as painted pine can be.  well it was until she clawed it.
(06-27-2018, 01:16 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Give your cats an easy and enticing alternative for scratching.  If the corners they have been scratching on are now rough you need to make them smooth by painting, varnishing, last resort applying clear plastic corner guards.  

John

she has an alternative, she has a scratching post sitting right next to one of the corners.  I may try catnip on the scratching post.
(06-27-2018, 02:33 PM)crokett™ Wrote: she has an alternative, she has a scratching post sitting right next to one of the corners.  I may try catnip on the scratching post.

Give it a try.  Also, try a scratch block; my cats prefer that over the post.  There also is some type of spray that you can use to keep them from scratching.  If none of it works, look her straight in the eyes and tell her you will have her declawed if she doesn't stop.  That didn't work for me, but at least I felt better knowing I had explained the consequences if he didn't stop.  Like I said, in the end I had to get one non conformist declawed.  

John
If you can catch them at it a squirt gun with water works well as a training device.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
or a tin can with a few coins in it.  The "Oh Shirt" can we called it.  Scared the daylights out of them.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Plastic corner protectors:

https://www.wallprotex.com/products/corn...ner-guards

http://www.kofflersales.com/p/corner-gua...lwQAvD_BwE

[Image: 94L5.jpg]
As an aside:

Soda bottles and water bottles are made from PET plastic.  This is one of the types of plastic that shrink tubing is made from.  

To protect the legs of chairs from damage, cut the top and bottom off of a soda bottle and carefully heat the bottle until it shrinks tight.  Be careful that the heat does not damage any woodwork.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Remove cat from house.  Easy one step solution
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.