Making Pavers, Bricks, and Wooden Molds
I haven’t played with concrete much in the past, but I decided to build some molds in the shop and make some pavers and bricks. Here are some of my first tries.

Bevel your forms slightly and use release oil and it will be easier to remove the blocks. That (fibered?) concrete looked too wet and that weakens it, use a little less water.

Nice idea though! I might do the same.
(06-28-2018, 12:49 AM)paulmon Wrote: I haven’t played with concrete much in the past, but I decided to build some molds in the shop and make some pavers and bricks. Here are some of my first tries.

I have made concrete bricks, patio stones etc. I stapled a piece of 6 mil poly to the bottom of the form. The sides done the same. Spacer boards did not need plastic, I used to staple plastic but found out the spacer boards can be done without it. I would turn the plank upside down onto 2x4's . Then a sharp rap and the bricks or blocks will fall out. Since they only fall 1-1/2" their is little chance of breakage.
Form oil works but for a small amount you need it may be hard to find it in less than 5 gallon cans. 
I have seen but not used diesel oil used instead of form oil. I do not know if this is a good substitute for form oil. 
Polyethelene works fine, does not need re-applying. I spray the forms with a water hose after I'm done. This washes off any cement residue. The finish from poly is very smooth. If you need a smooth finish then install upside down. I made a concrete countertop for someone . He added small colored stones to the bottom and I poured the concrete onto the form. Galvanized turkey wire was used for reinforcement.
When we turned the top over the finish was beautiful, smooth enough that no other work was needed. 
I believe he used Varathane varnish which is an epoxy I think to coat the top. The Varathane was very thick and needed to be thinned first. 
This top is now 8 years old and still looks new.

mike
All good tips to remember on my next forms!
(06-28-2018, 12:49 AM)paulmon Wrote: I haven’t played with concrete much in the past, but I decided to build some molds in the shop and make some pavers and bricks. Here are some of my first tries.

So I have to ask why?  I can't imagine it being cost effective nor best use of time when pavers are 
relatively inexpensive and plentiful
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(06-28-2018, 10:04 PM)Bob10 Wrote: So I have to ask why?  I can't imagine it being cost effective nor best use of time when pavers are 

I believe the answer is to be able to make a youtube video and monetize it
Next time, try to soften the sound of you making  your forms.  Really tough to hear you talking over the whirling of the drill.
Dumber than I appear
"So I have to ask why?"
One reason is it allows you to personalize them.
My wife has a set of letters she can use when pouring to put names, dates, etc.
Every one of her animals gets its own gravestone, when the time comes.
You can also add other patterns, grandkids hand prints, etc.
You can also create special colors, using concrete dye.
That said, I wouldn't do it if I was doing a whole sidewalk or patio.
(06-29-2018, 05:12 AM)EricU Wrote: I believe the answer is to be able to make a youtube video and monetize it

You'll notice that my video is not monetized. 

Making videos is a step up from all the photos I used to make.

Paul M
(06-28-2018, 10:04 PM)Bob10 Wrote: So I have to ask why?  I can't imagine it being cost effective nor best use of time when pavers are 

Plain pavers and bricks are about the same cost if you buy a 60 lb bag of concrete. Once you start adding color, making different shapes, or custom textures, the price difference is quite a bit. But yea, at this point I certainly wouldn't make a whole patio's worth. Mostly just step stones around the yard.

Paul M