Shed Project: Trusses
(07-06-2018, 06:17 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: When I was a nail pounder for a building contractor, many years ago, we built our gable end overhangs a little differently.  We would notch the rafter of the gable end trusses to allow 2x4's to lie flat and flush with the top of the rafter.  We would cut 2x4's long enough to be nailed into the side of the next interior truss, spanning the gable end truss and extend far enough for the desired overhang.  We placed them every 2' along the length of the rafter. The gable end fascia boards would then be attached to these 2x4's.  For added support and to prevent  twisting of the fascia board, we then cut another 2x4 that attached vertically, between the gable truss and the fascia board.  It was nailed through the flat 2x4 support as well.   We built several houses with 2' overhangs and I never had any concerns about walking/sitting on this framing during construction.  It made for a very solid overhang.  Once the sheathing was put down, it felt as solid as any other part of the roof framing.  For small overhangs, 12" or less, I would think the ladder style would be more than adequate.

Thanks for that insight Bill.  What I'm building is a version of what you described.  Even though the overhang will only be 12" I want it completely safe to walk on, not that I plan to get that close to the edge of the roof very much.  

John
(07-06-2018, 06:59 AM)tomsteve Wrote: id suggest going somewhere other than the big box stores for the siding and supplies . they typically have a higher quality siding available and actually know what theyre talking about.
as for the roofing, it would be wise to run 2 rows of ice and water or 2 feet past the exterior walls(not sure what size overhang ya plan).
 dimensional shingles are awesome.
although 3 tabs arent hard to get the rain slots to be nice and lined up. i snap 2 lines up the starting end then snap a line for every other course.

Thanks Tom.  We have a couple of building supply stores nearby, beyond the big box stores.  I bought all the construction lumber from one of them, and will give them a chance on the roofing and siding, too.  As you said, being able to talk to people who know what they are talking about, especially when I often don't, is a true benefit and often saves time and sometimes money, too.  

The overhang is about 18", and I do plan to run ice shield along the edge.  

John
(07-06-2018, 09:23 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The overhang is about 18", and I do plan to run ice shield along the edge.  

John

Word to the wise.  be careful working on that stuff.  It gets very hot.  Hotter than the shingles.  Last year I re-roofed my house.  I knelt down on the ice shield to cut in the shingles on the one end of the roof.  I ended up with 2nd degree burns on both knee caps.  Hurt like hail for a couple days.  I was wearing long pants.  I wore knee pads after that.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(07-06-2018, 09:23 AM)jteneyck Wrote: ... The overhang is about 18", and I do plan to run ice shield along the edge.  

What is the purpose of ice shield in an unheated shed?  Is it needed?
(07-06-2018, 06:36 PM)srv52761 Wrote: What is the purpose of ice shield in an unheated shed?  Is it needed?

Probably not, but a friend offered me some for free so I'll use it.  Sheds, garages, barns, and other out buildings have been built for a long time before ice shield was even invented.  The garages at my parents are 90 years old and the original roof framing and sheating has never needed repair.  

John
(07-06-2018, 06:36 PM)srv52761 Wrote: What is the purpose of ice shield in an unheated shed?  Is it needed?

(07-06-2018, 09:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Probably not, but a friend offered me some for free so I'll use it.  Sheds, garages, barns, and other out buildings have been built for a long time before ice shield was even invented.  The garages at my parents are 90 years old and the original roof framing and sheating has never needed repair.  

John

I used ice shield on the whole shed, for the same reason you are using it.  The shed roof is small and there was enough left over from other jobs, I just used it rather than felt paper.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
.............. Looking good!
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-07-2018, 05:55 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: .............. Looking good!

What he said .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

an unheated shed can build up enough heat inside to melt snow on the roof and start an ice dam. might not be as severe as a heated structure but over time can cause premature failure.
(07-07-2018, 07:22 AM)tomsteve Wrote: an unheated shed can build up enough heat inside to melt snow on the roof and start an ice dam. might not be as severe as a heated structure but over time can cause premature failure.

Once the sun gets under the snow and starts to warm darker shingles, you've got ice.