Second story deck- stairway?
I will be putting a deck up soon- 10 feet off the ground. It is over our walk out basement

Does code require an stairway? We really don’t want one. Will code require one?

I suspect they will require some kind of "emergency exit" -- code here requires every room to have a "egress window" (especially in the basement) in addition to the door so I'm betting on them requiring something.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It's code in my city
(07-01-2018, 11:10 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I will be putting a deck up soon- 10 feet off the ground. It is over our walk out basement

Does code require an stairway? We really don’t want one. Will code require one?

(07-01-2018, 05:42 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I suspect they will require some kind of "emergency exit" -- code here requires every room to have a "egress window" (especially in the basement) in addition to the door so I'm betting on them requiring something.

@ Goaliedad - I'm assuming that you want to build an 'open deck' w/ an entrance door of some type from your house - if so, not sure what the issue would be w/ Wild Turkey's comments since there is an exit option.  I would think that this is similar to an outdoor 2nd floor porch accessible from that level but no stairs to the lower level; of course, codes would determine the types/sizes of materials, railing heights, spacings, etc.

Since you are located in Michigan, check w/ a local builder/contractor to determine the codes - I'm sure there is plenty of local information available that will answer your question - my feeling since you will have some type of door opening to the deck, is that a staircase to the lower level would not be needed, but not being a 'pro' in this area, I will accept correction.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(07-01-2018, 05:56 PM)Gansett Wrote: It's code in my city

Just curious, where are you located - Michigan?  After posting, I can imagine if one is on an outdoor deck and the house catches on fire engulfing the door to the deck that some 'escape stairs' would be nice - will be interested in the the codes are?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I'm in RI, the house is a raised ranch and the deck is off the kitchen, above the basement walk out.. 8-10 feet off the ground.
(07-01-2018, 06:18 PM)Gansett Wrote: I'm in RI, the house is a raised ranch and the deck is off the kitchen, above the basement walk out.. 8-10 feet off the ground.

Thanks for the response - I have a porch off the back of my house w/ 2 doors, one at ground level and the other about 10 ft up from a sloping landscape - not sure what the code was for that decision in North Carolina (built just after Hurricane Hugo in 1989) - but we've visited many historic Carolina coastal houses in the past decades and the second story porches have no staircases, so may be a 'grandfather issue'?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(07-01-2018, 06:42 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks for the response - I have a porch off the back of my house w/ 2 doors, one at ground level and the other about 10 ft up from a sloping landscape - not sure what the code was for that decision in North Carolina (built just after Hurricane Hugo in 1989) - but we've visited many historic Carolina coastal houses in the past decades and the second story porches have no staircases, so may be a 'grandfather issue'?  Dave
Smile

Do apartments with decks all have stairs down from the deck ?  Probably not but check locally.   Roly
(07-01-2018, 07:00 PM)Roly Wrote: Do apartments with "Balconies" all have stairs down from the deck ?  Probably not but check locally.   Roly

Shouldn't need stairs for a deck. Fire egress is over the rail. Same as a third floor bedroom. The window is the egress rout. But like others have said, check local codes. Most municipalities have shed and deck requirements posted on their websites.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

If the regulations where you live are anything like those in Cranston, they will advise you once you file the plans (and pay the filing fees, which are calculated based upon the cost of the construction).

10 pages of PDF:  http://www.cranstonri.com/pdf/permit%20p...ly_428.pdf

CITY OF CRANSTON DECK PERMIT PROCEDURE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.