Bench Grinder Replacement - Choices and Recommendations?
Hi Guys - may want to replace my current bench grinder which is an older Delta model (shown below - pic from web) w/ a new or used one - I'm still reorganizing my basement shop and getting rid (or replacing w/ cordless models) of a number of tools that I've not really used in years - for the old grinder, I occasionally use the vertical wheel but not the horizontal tool sharpener (have switched to water stones and Lee Valley jigs for my chisels and planer blades a while back).

I'm debating on donating this old Delta hybrid combo to Habitat and replacing w/ a 2 stone model - however, looking at a number of reviews, such as HERE, the recommendations do not impress me, especially after reading the negative comments on sites like Amazon - most of these current 'best' suggestions, seem to all be made in the Orient w/ poor quality control and wobbly stones, like a crap-shoot if ordered from Amazon - the DeWalt 6" model would likely fit my needs, but again the 1* reviews on Amazon are discouraging.

SO, for a machine w/ a simple induction motor on 2 spindles, why so many negative impressions, i.e. just two shafts turning perpendicular stones (or other accessories, like a brush).  My price range is $100 to $200 - thanks for any comments and suggestions.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
The best grinder you will find in your price range is probably the 1hp Rikon 80-808.
I got the Powertec unit off of Woot for $49 about a year ago - good heft to the motor and it runs at the lower 1750 RPM which really does work better than the 34xx RPM units like the Dewalt when it comes to sharpening.   The stones it comes with are not great, but for that price you can easily get the stones you want to replace the originals and still stay in your budget.

Here's a link to a couple of returned unit at Amazon Warehouse - one is like new (I've had very good luck buying from Amazon Warehouse) 

Powertec Grinder

I'd buy the unit again - think of it as getting the motor, buy your stones separately.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have that Powertec (also bought off Woot) and it is a great value. You'll see a lot of comments about the white stones not being high quality, but even after replacing them you still have a good deal. Prior to the Rikon being offered, Woodcraft had a different label on their 1750 grinders and I also have one of them. Not quite as cheap, but also a good value. Either would serve any hobbyist well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Too bad you are not located closer to me, I will be parting with this soon and I would have made you a sweet deal, but I am afraid that shipping would negate that.

[Image: SharpeningJig011.jpg]

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
My grinder is the 8" variable speed Delta and is at least ten years old so I have no experience with current grinders, but I'm here to offer suggestion.

Last August I replaced one wheel with a CBN...WOW!  What a huge difference!  IMHO you ought to consider moving up to the 8" grinder; then when it is time to change one of the wheels, look at the CBN offerings.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Most wobble in the wheels are the cheaply pressed washers holding the wheel. Making new washers can fix that. Cheap wheels may also have a bore that is too large.
I got a Rikon 8" 1hp grinder with CBN wheels from Ken at Wood Turners Wonders and have been very happy with the setup recommended by him. Not inexpensive but high performance. I've used it for everything from sharpening my lathe tools to my mower blades.
Btw, I have been using the same Delta sharpening setup you have for 20 years and now it is setting on a shelf and I am considering getting rid of it.
You can get conical washers from Ken that all but eliminates the wobble. They work very well.
(07-02-2018, 09:31 AM)stonefox Wrote: I got a Rikon 8" 1hp grinder with CBN wheels from Ken at Wood Turners Wonders and have been very happy with the setup recommended by him. Not inexpensive but high performance.  I've used it for everything from sharpening my lathe tools to my mower blades.
Btw,  I have been using the same Delta sharpening setup you have for 20 years and now it is setting on a shelf and I am considering getting rid of it.
You can get conical washers from Ken that all but eliminates the wobble. They work very well.

Thanks Guys for all of the excellent comments - seems like a lot of different brands and models owned.  Also, I've been reading up on the CBN (cubic boron nitride) wheels which seem awesome, but sell at the cost of a grinder - 
Laugh

My sharpening needs are limited to plane blades and chisels, a couple times a year - not a woodcarver or lather, so don't have dozens of tools needed for those jobs - not sure that I could justify putting say $300+ in a grinder w/ CBN wheels (or at least one for less) - I use the right side of my Delta sharpening center about 3-4 times yearly - Dave
Smile

P.S. Saw the video from Wood Turners about the offset washers to eliminate wobble - wondering if that would correct some of the complaints about these grinders vibrating excessively?
Piedmont North Carolina
As I am not satisfied with the quality of the Asian clone-of-a-cone-of-a-clone grinders I have bought all my grinders secondhand except one which I built from scratch.
I have 4 grinders in use and 2 awaiting rebuild. It is very practcal to have several for different purposes.

As I live in Finland I don't know which brands you can find secondhand where you live but those that were made for industrial use are usually good. Even old belt driven ones may be useful.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English