Make my own brown wax??
Looking for wisdom since it is generally in short supply in my one man shop.
Working on oak mission book cases and would like to finish up with a dark brown wax to color the grain pores. Anybody color their own wax with dyes? For instance like Transtint? I use that frequently with epoxy  per tips from this site.
I appreciate the help!
(07-02-2018, 10:49 AM)aruuk Wrote: Looking for wisdom since it is generally in short supply in my one man shop.
Working on oak mission book cases and would like to finish up with a dark brown wax to color the grain pores. Anybody color their own wax with dyes? For instance like Transtint? I use that frequently with epoxy  per tips from this site.
I appreciate the help!

I'm pretty sure Transtint won't be miscible in common waxes.  You could try adding the Transtint to a few mls of lacquer thinner and then mix that with the wax, but I'm still not too optimistic.  Oil soluble dye would have a much better chance of working.  But why not just use shoe polish if you don't want to buy a large tin?  

John
(07-02-2018, 12:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm pretty sure Transtint won't be miscible in common waxes.  You could try adding the Transtint to a few mls of lacquer thinner and then mix that with the wax, but I'm still not too optimistic.  Oil soluble dye would have a much better chance of working.  But why not just use shoe polish if you don't want to buy a large tin?  

John

Whoa, shoe polish is OK for furniture? How easy is that? That's a great solution!
Thanks John
(07-02-2018, 10:49 AM)aruuk Wrote: Looking for wisdom since it is generally in short supply in my one man shop.
I appreciate the help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_KwMspDBE

Looks like he is using japan colorant.  Suggests also oil paint colorants from art supply store.

If you go the shoe polish route, be sure it doesn't contain any silicone.  I could see that appearing as an ingredient if it is supposed to have "waterproofing" capabilities.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(07-02-2018, 02:34 PM)Rob Young Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_KwMspDBE

Looks like he is using japan colorant.  Suggests also oil paint colorants from art supply store.

If you go the shoe polish route, be sure it doesn't contain any silicone.  I could see that appearing as an ingredient if it is supposed to have "waterproofing" capabilities.
Thank you Rob for the silicone tip re: shoe polish. If shoe polish(sans silicone) has no downside I'll go down that route. Otherwise I'll head to my local art store for oil paint colorants. I'm clueless what Japan colorant is but I haven't seen the video yet.
Thank you.
(07-02-2018, 05:14 PM)aruuk Wrote: Thank you Rob for the silicone tip re: shoe polish. If shoe polish(sans silicone) has no downside I'll go down that route. Otherwise I'll head to my local art store for oil paint colorants. I'm clueless what Japan colorant is but I haven't seen the video yet.
Thank you.

https://www.fineartstore.com/p-6974-rona...olors.aspx

Very finely ground pigments suspended in linseed oil with additional drying agents (i.e. boiled linseed oil).  Another name for oil paint colorant.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(07-02-2018, 12:53 PM)aruuk Wrote: Whoa, shoe polish is OK for furniture? How easy is that? That's a great solution!
Thanks John
But why not just use shoe polish if you don't want to buy a large tin?

that's it............
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-02-2018, 02:34 PM)Rob Young Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_KwMspDBE

FWIW, silicone is not an issue unless you want to refinish the pieces.  What are the chances of that in your lifetime?  Probably slim.  

Even if it comes to that silicone is not that hard to deal with.  Stripper, MS, and naptha will take it off.  Shellac will seal in any remaining.  And you can add fish eye remover to your new finish if it's still a problem.  

John
Shoe polish trick was good but the brand I used dried too fast and too hard. I next tried artists colors and furniture wax. Umber artists color and a hot plate, voila! I'm impressed how easy this was.
Thank you gentlemen
(07-06-2018, 08:05 PM)aruuk Wrote: Shoe polish trick was good but the brand I used dried too fast and too hard. I next tried artists colors and furniture wax. Umber artists color and a hot plate, voila! I'm impressed how easy this was.
Thank you gentlemen

Happy to hear you found a solution.  

John