Dust Collection at Lathe Question
Have been using a Ridgid shop vac with drywall bag and hepa filter for dust collection while sanding on the lathe. Seems to work pretty well. Recently got my hands on a harbor freight dc with a wynn filter. Wonder which would be the better option. The hfcd seems like it would have more suck, but I wonder if the filtration is as good. Thoughts?
Thanks.
DC is better but you need a 1 micron filter.
Don
(07-04-2018, 08:51 AM)Mike67 Wrote: Have been using a Ridgid shop vac with drywall bag and hepa filter for dust collection while sanding on the lathe. Seems to work pretty well. Recently got my hands on a harbor freight dc with a wynn filter. Wonder which would be the better option. The hfcd seems like it would have more suck, but I wonder if the filtration is as good. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Volume at low pressure for a DC, high pressure and probably lower volume with the vacuum.  Either is dandy for sanding if you have a good means of directing the dust into your collector.  I favor my dryer exhaust hood and magnets to put the collection point right where I can direct the dust when power sanding.  Since you can add a cyclone-type collector in line with the quieter DC, making it more useful at the planer and the floor, if you don't direct shavings into a bag when working, I'd go with the DC option.  

Filtration with the vacuum is more critical than with the DC, because of the difference in pressure.  Though a simple mask is more than adequate to defend YOU, you may choose to defend your shop from dust with the filter of your choice. With the larger filtration area of the Wynn, the pressure will be even lower on exhaust than intake, too, making an expensive fine filter unnecessary.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.