How would you......
...attach this live edge shelf to this sofa table I'm building.

This is the downfall not using any plans and building things from ideas in you head and you just start making something.

I was thinking one of the following:

1.  2 dowels on each end of the shelf to stand the shelf off of the inside of the legs.  Run a 2" X 1" thick  support on the underside.
2.  Dado the shelf into the legs.
3.  Run 2-2" X 1" thick supports left to right and just sit the shelf on top of them then attach it from the underside.  The legs are 4" wide and the shelf is roughly 6" wide at the ends.

I'm open to other ideas as well.  Thanks in advance.
Smile

A dado would be really simple I would think; and probably look the best...  As long as you are ok with shrinking the table another 1" of width.  

If not, domino or dowels would be fine.
If you have any remaining material:

A small block of live edge material mounted beneath either side of the shelf.  With all that face grain, glue will be more than strong enough.  

The shelf will then have a robust "bracket to rest on" so almost any type of fastener would work to keep the shelf in place.  I'd probably used two biscuits per side.

Alternatively, you can make "shelf pins" from 3/4" maple dowels.  Through drill two per side for the shelf to rest on.  Mount a small block of 3/4" material between the dowels onto the shelf to keep it from sliding around.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Dowels or biscuits, if you want no fasteners/blocks showing
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Loose tenons will work without changing size.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I'm going with "a bracket to rest on" if you goal is to show no fasteners.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
1. Table top fastners.

2. Two wood screws in each end in  recessed 1/2" holes plugged with a contrasting wood, either sanded smooth or left proud.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I think it would look better with a stringer instead of the shelf.
(07-08-2018, 12:56 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I think it would look better with a stringer instead of the shelf.

I like the shelf but would flip it 180*
Wink
Thanks everyone for the tips on how to attach the shelf.  I ended up making a dado and then added some blocks on the outside to hide the screws that secures the shelf.