Making Russian dolls
Politics 
Notice the lathe chisels........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFC4_UaPzI
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Interesting sort-of-skews. Be fun to try one and compare it with a skew that requires skewing the handle more to get the right blade angle.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(07-06-2018, 10:13 AM)imapseudonym Wrote: Interesting sort-of-skews. Be fun to try one and compare it with a skew that requires skewing the handle more to get the right blade angle.

The "right" blade angle is the one that does the work required.  Tools evolve to fit the task, especially when it is repetitious.  My normal response to people and their "how should I grind this" is to tell them the right answer is the one that does the work for them, not "expert" X or Y.  Skews, for instance, used to come in right and left handed versions even as late as the 60's, when I started turning.  Single-bevel, they worked better than the current double type. 

What I find interesting is something I mention often in the "seal the endgrain" threads.  Starch, be it corn or, in this case, potato derived, pulls and binds moisture.  First saw it mentioned in an old FWW article about a Swedish spoon carver.  He rubbed the wood with a potato to  keep checks from starting, almost like wax emulsion (Anchorseal) types.  

For those who may not know, "lime" is basswood.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The skews they used looked like whale harpoons and a 1" hook tool.  I like the long skew area of the tool and it would be hard to get a catch with it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.