Remote Controls for Ceiling Fans
I have 3 ceiling fan/lights in my house that are each controlled by a single switch.  There aren't separate switches for fan and light.  I'd like to install aftermarket remote kits.  Looking at them online it appears  the receivers are all too large to fit up in the electrical box in the ceiling.  Where are they supposed to be installed normally? The 3 I have I don't think I could get them in the housing that's attached to the box, it's not any wider than the box is.   My fans have the housing attached to the box, than a short ~3" downrod, then the fan motor/light assembly
I have one that the receiver fits between the electrical box, and the bonnet, and another in the bonnet
I'm not sure what you are calling the bonnet.
Wink I did some checking online. I see youtube videos of several of them going into the housing that attaches to the ceiling. I'll measure the diameter on one of my fans. they may be larger than I thought.
(07-07-2018, 08:55 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm not sure what you are calling the bonnet.  
Wink  I did some checking online.  I see youtube videos of several of them going into the housing that attaches to the ceiling.  I'll measure the diameter on one of my fans.   they may be larger than I thought.

Its the decorative  bell shaped piece that covers the downrod connector to the electrical box.
I've put wall-mounted switches that work by radio frequency in (there is only 1 wire running to fan, and pulling another would have been a pain - otherwise I'd pull a new wire if feasible).  The receiver looks too big to fit, but it does.
Last one I installed fit in the light kit. That's where the switches are anyway.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(07-08-2018, 09:00 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Last one I installed fit in the light kit.  That's where the switches are anyway.

do you know what brand it was and where you got it?  

most of what Im seeing on amazon are pretty big.
I don't know about aftermarket remotes because all my Hunters have factory installed remotes built into them.
Maybe they work, and maybe they don't.
I wouldn't want to burn up an expensive fan trying one out to see if it works or not.
(07-08-2018, 09:16 AM)crokett™ Wrote: do you know what brand it was and where you got it?  

most of what Im seeing on amazon are pretty big.

Sorry. No clue.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have put them on top of the motor.  Depending on the layout of the room, you can only see it if you look for it.
Signature