Installing a Nest Thermostat - Wiring Question
The Nest wiring instructions seemed clear until I actually did it.  My existing T-stat is a Trane.  It has separate wires labeled O and B on the terminal block, the colors of the wires are Orange and Blue.  The Nest instructions don't cover that.  They do say that the B wire may be a common wire and it should go to the C terminal on the Nest but that I need to look at the orignal t-stat installation instructions to make sure.  Looking at the installation instructions for the T-stat, this appears to be the case.  I found the instructions for my existing t-stat here:

http://www.munchsupply.com/docs/default-...f?sfvrsn=0

Figure 5 on page 3 seems to indicate this is a common wire, but I also see references to it controlling a reversing valve.  Should I treat it as the common?  I don't have a separate wire labeled 'C'.
The B wire is blue and is common.
The O wire is orange and energizes the 4 way (Reversing) valve for heat or a/c on a heat pump.

O- energized is cooling on Trane systems.
Thanks. I found indications of that elsewhere but I trust the answers I get here more than nearly everyplace else.
Wink
I ran into an issue.  My old tstat has connections for R, W2/X2,W1,Y,G,O,B  

I had wires connected to each of those.  I ran the system tests.  Everything seems to work except Aux Heat.  I connected the wire from W1 on old to W1 on the Nest, and the wire from W2/X2 to W2/Aux on the Nest.   I might have a loose wire.  I didn't check that yet, but the Nest detects the wires connected - it shows me a picture on the display of where they are connected.  Is something on the heat pump overriding the heat strips?  It's summer time after all.

Here is a picture of the Nest.  This isn't mine.  My connections are Y to Y1, G to G, O to OB, W1 to W1,W2/X2 to W2, B to C and R to RH:
[Image: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9R...qcGc=?.jpg]
Be sure RH and RC are jumped.

Aux heat may be time delayed, it may run through an outdoor thermostat and the temp setting must be set 2* higher than the room temp.

On some thermostats, W1 is used for Gas/Fuel heating (Non- Heat pump).

Check the programing if there is one.

See if there is a "Sequence of operation" with the thermostat.

Frankly, I haven't dealt much with nest- too many complaints.
Nest instructions say no jumpers needed. R by itself can be connected to RH or RC. The Nest tells me that there may be a time delay - I waited several minutes. I'm wondering if it is running through an outdoor tstat. Temp setting was set to 75, which is room temp. this was a test using the Nest testing utility - it would call for heat no matter what the temp was. testing regular cooling and heating worked.

what do you mean by sequence of operations?
Sequence of operation means what the thermostat does at a particular setting.
(07-08-2018, 10:55 PM)daddo Wrote: Sequence of operation means what the thermostat does at a particular setting.

thanks.  in this case, the Nest has a Test mode.  you can test heat/cool/etc.  In test mode I don't think it matters what the t-stat temp is.   Testing cooling and basic heat worked.  testing aux heat nothing happens.  I checked the wiring, it all looked good, no loose connections.  I'll have to see if I can find a schematic for my heat pump to see whether there's an outside thermostat.
Worst case scenario can you temporarily replace the old thermostat and see if aux heat works?
I figured it out. I spoke to Nest support and I had the aux wire in the wrong spot.