Need a new router
I had used the old model Hitachi M12 V for a long time, but it went with the old table saw when I sold it. I am in the process of making a new router table to mount to the new table saw. 

I am currently considering the Milwaukee 5625 (3 1/2 hp) and would like to know how the above the table adjustments work with that router. Also are there other routers that I should be looking at?  I need to be able to spin raised panel bits. 

As an alternate, I do have a Porter Cable 5182 which is an older model.  Its in good shape and very smooth running, however the speed control switch is broken. Still works, but you have to wiggle the switch around to get to the correct speed. I haven't mounted it to a plate yet, and really not sure if I want to spend money mounting that router as it does not have a convenient way to raise and lower (just rotate the motor in the base). 

And I know someone will mention it, but I am not looking for a shaper. No room for that.
(07-08-2018, 06:58 PM)Scoony Wrote: I had used the old model Hitachi M12 V for a long time, but it went with the old table saw when I sold it. I am in the process of making a new router table to mount to the new table saw. 

I am currently considering the Milwaukee 5625 (3 1/2 hp) and would like to know how the above the table adjustments work with that router. Also are there other routers that I should be looking at?  I need to be able to spin raised panel bits. 

As an alternate, I do have a Porter Cable 5182 which is an older model.  Its in good shape and very smooth running, however the speed control switch is broken. Still works, but you have to wiggle the switch around to get to the correct speed. I haven't mounted it to a plate yet, and really not sure if I want to spend money mounting that router as it does not have a convenient way to raise and lower (just rotate the motor in the base). 

And I know someone will mention it, but I am not looking for a shaper. No room for that.

It sounds like you want a router to use without a lift, if that is the case then consider the big Triton, it has the best above table controls.  

The job really is begging for a 7.5hp shaper and feeder...  
Laugh
I have the Triton. Great router, but while the bit can be changed from the top, the on/off switch has to be set to “off” to raise the bit to lock the spindle. AND there lock has to be set and released. Both of these are under the table. The Triton is powerful as SUPER quiet, but it DOES NOT adjust all above the table.

The PC 890 CAN be unlocked, adjusted and locked from above in the right insert plate. If you do not want a lift, this is a good option. 

My favorite set up is Rockler’s Lift with my PC 890. The lift adjusts from above, the bits change above, and there is no lock. Turn the handle, raise or lower and work. No lock, butmine has never moved in the 6 years I have had it.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Buy a new kreg lift and use the 75182. You really wont change speeds often. Then later when you replace the router you can get another 7518 or a number of others and all will work all will adjust above table with the lift.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(07-08-2018, 10:10 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Buy a new kreg lift and use the 75182. You really wont change speeds often. Then later when you replace the router you can get another 7518 or a number of others and all will work all will adjust above table with the lift.

I agree w/ this.

Also this page has instructions on replacing the speed control:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/speed-...77jgojjpm2

It sounds like the OP's speed control might mostly work.  So I'd use the instructions to open the router and clean it and see if an adjustment will get things working 100% again.
I have been using my Milwaukee 5625 with a Benchdog CI extension on my tablesaw for quite few years and it works for me without any problem.

http://s971.photobucket.com/user/k3gv/me...f.jpg.html
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(07-08-2018, 10:10 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Buy a new kreg lift and use the 75182. You really wont change speeds often. Then later when you replace the router you can get another 7518 or a number of others and all will work all will adjust above table with the lift.

I would love to get a router lift for the PC5182, but that model is the predecessor to the PC7518 and has a larger body. 4.5" verses the newer router's 4.2"  I have not found a router lift that the PC5182 will fit. I can budget a new router or a router lift, but not both.

The speed control does work, just the little knob that attaches to the circuit board came loose so you have to fidget with it to change the speed. I can live with that
(07-08-2018, 09:18 PM)handi Wrote: The PC 890 CAN be unlocked, adjusted and locked from above in the right insert plate. If you do not want a lift, this is a good option. 

My favorite set up is Rockler’s Lift with my PC 890. The lift adjusts from above, the bits change above, and there is no lock. Turn the handle, raise or lower and work. No lock, butmine has never moved in the 6 years I have had it.

The PC 890 looks like a good option. I am sure it can handle the rail and stile bits, but can it swing the larger panel raising bits occasionally?
Actually, I could get the PC 890 and mount that for regular use, then get a plate of the same size for the 5182 and only use that for the larger bits.
Don't know Milwaukee but  when my M12V died I went with the 3 1/4HP Triton.

The height adjustment is adequate and the above table bit changes are very convenient.