Shed Project: Framing
GRK has a full line of structural screws.
Sure a framing nailer cant be beat for speed but  Torx head plus the ability to pull things tight I always use screws for my projects.
https://www.grkfasteners.com/products/mu...ltipurpose
(07-10-2018, 09:12 AM)Bluepine Wrote: GRK has a full line of structural screws.
Sure a framing nailer cant be beat for speed but  Torx head plus the ability to pull things tight I always use screws for my projects.
https://www.grkfasteners.com/products/mu...ltipurpose

Thanks.  These are the ones I normally use; just couldn't find the info. so I posted the stuff from Simpson which has the pretty pictures, too.  

John

Here's a photo of the side of a container of GRK R4 screws:

[Image: NRW414OsN0tBhi6SuwpeFlKqD2ZR4yesiTKA79ig...35-h626-no]

I like these because 1) they are structural rated, 2) they work well, and 3) I can buy them at Home Depot.  I first found them a few years ago and have used them for most screw related work, such as cabinets, remodeling, etc. In any case, nails are not the only game in town anymore.  You have options.  

John
(07-09-2018, 09:58 PM)EricU Wrote: That was going to look funny at the original height, good decision to cut it down.  I had to rework my walls because I read the instructions for the siding and my 24" spacing wasn't going to work.  That was a bit of an annoying setback, but it didn't take long.

my shed has walls that are less than 8' so I could meet the township zoning requirement that the overall height be under 10'.  I was worried that it would look short, but it doesn't.  Wouldn't mind having a bit more height than 10' so the roof wasn't quite so flat, but the angle is okay.

Ten feet overall height sure seems restrictive.  Here it's 16'.  My shed was going to be 15'8" or so but since I shortened the walls to 8' it will be about 13' 8".  Plenty high enough when I'm up on a ladder but I like the 8' head room when I'm inside.  

John
If your walls are 8'-4-1/2", what sheeting size are you getting?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

8 ft. The rafter returns come down several inches.

John
I built a 14' by 20' shed, conventional framing, T1-11 siding, standing seam metal roof screwed to 1" by 3" purlins screwed to 2" by 6" rafters(not trusses) and 2' by 4" ceiling stringers. Had 3/4" PT T&G ply flooring on PT 2" by 10" floor joists hung between 12" by 8" beams(Like RR ties, but not). The beams sat on a grid of 12" by 5" by 2" pavers and were secured to the ground by 6 custom built eye studs 18" long lag screwed to the inside of the beams

There were 24 nails in the entire shed(not counting nails inside to hang stuff). I used 16p clipped head sinker pneumatic nails to mount the rafters to the top plates. All the fasteners were construction screws, save the washer roofing screws.

That building stood in wind/rain(12/12 pitch roof never had much snow load) sun for over 15 years. Then I moved. It stood for another 7 before it was dismantled and reassembled somewhere else.

I put about 5 sheets of 1/2" CD ply on the ceiling rafters and stored a lot of stuff(wood and boxes) up there.

24" deep shelving on one end. TS, work bench, RAS, router table(home made), and assorted bins/containers for shop tools. I eventually added a built on for plywood storage on one side that was 3' wide, 10' long.

I noticed one corner was racking after I moved(BIL bought the trailer behind the lot where the shed was), because the ground had washed away a bit. I could see about a half inch of space under the beams at that corner where the pavers had sunk.

Canadian framers use screws, at least Mike Holmes does.

I've helped build hand nailed HfH houses(volunteers could not use pneumatic nailers). Two we built used 2" by 6" cedar lumber. That was problematic to nail. Clipped head nails cannot be used locally above the top plates and often not on exterior walls. I never ran into an inspector who faulted construction screws anywhere.
Just wondering. How much sheer stress is there if you have wood supporting wood? The fastener is there just to hold it in place.
If your using the fastener to support a load, it should only be a light load or a non-hazardous load shouldn't it? At which case for a heavy load a bolt would be the choice.
Except in the case of hurricane country, I'd use either nails or screws or both.
(07-09-2018, 09:18 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks new.
Cool

Have you purposely tried to break one yet, by bending with a hammer.
I'm curious.
Winkgrin

Here's a photo of a 3" screw after I bent it back and forth six times with the claws of a hammer.  Nuf said.

[Image: YQGH6gpcHOQnbbt0GbakXpZsifdvgQqcAKRaBHBS...35-h626-no]

John
(07-13-2018, 08:04 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Here's a photo of a 3" screw after I bent it back and forth six times with the claws of a hammer.  Nuf said.

John

Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-13-2018, 08:04 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Here's a photo of a 3" screw after I bent it back and forth six times with the claws of a hammer.  Nuf said.

I'm surprised it went this far, you'd think google charged by the search or something.

Laugh