Tablesaw Blade Maintenance
(07-11-2018, 01:06 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm using Bull Sharpening (Oak Park IL) the most often...

Funny.  That's the sharpening service I found from a quick search yesterday.  Not all too far from me if I can go during non-rush-hour times.  Good to hear of your endorsement.
(07-11-2018, 12:48 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: With the blade deals of the past (~10 years ago) I'm stocked for 2-3 lifetimes of TS/RAS blades of all types (rip/crosscut/general purpose). I purchased large quantities of blades because the deals for blades were cheaper than sharpening services.
I was kinda in the same boat.  Also, I do regularly swap out my blades vs just using a single combo for all things, so quite a bit of time has passed before they have noticeably started to dull.
(07-11-2018, 01:10 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Deals of the past. Yes, I bought 3 cases.
Laugh  10 per case.
It was some dealer here selling them.

Light weight...
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh I have no idea how many blades I have and I'm slightly embarrassed by the shelves stacked full of them in the shop.

Like you said, there was Mike Jackson (not singer) on here that sold some and also on Ebay. Then there was also Onsrud that cleared out their old inventory on Ebay... those blades were totally expensive HIGH quality blades selling for a song. Also, Cripe had a bunch of old Delta stock... they had them for a long time and maybe still do.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I have mine sharpened by a service.

I clean occasionally.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I clean them regularly when they get begin to have a layer of pitch, with a simple green soak in a Frisbee.

I sharpen as need be, likely not enough!

I buy nice quality blades so they can sharpened multiple times, no tossing blades here unless they can’t be sharpened anymore.
(07-11-2018, 01:19 AM)packerguy® Wrote: I clean the blade every time I take it off the saw (60% of my work is cherry, which leaves LOTS of pitch on the blade, not as bad as pine, but a lot) I use Trend blade cleaner, super easy....spray it on, wait a minute, I use a tooth brush to brush the teeth, wipe clean with paper towel, done deal. 

[Image: 41kChGTjSAL.jpg]

I have a local sharpener, that I drop off a set every six months. IIRC its like $35-40 for the three blades if there is no teeth repairs needed. 

As far as cleaning, its really amazing how even a little crap on the side of the tooth effects the quality of cut and enjoyment of using the blade.

Wow.  Every time you take it off the saw?  
Eek   Apparently, my blade hygiene is pathetic. 
Crazy
Slap
Clean or Resharpen.  Hmmmm

Most of the time I am lucky to go 5 months without one of the vets hitting a screw or nail.  I have to continue using it until I can afford another blade.
Brad in Fl sent me a nice one I need to replace the bad one I have now.  I would like to invest in one of those detectors but they cost to much to get one unless I can find a used one somewhere.

One thing I do is vacuum the cabinet saw every time. I turn on the DC and open up the other side panel and blow everything to the DC so it keeps everything nice and clean and the screws to.

Today I just finished redoing the top and re*waxing it and then buffing the wax with my car buffer and it puts on a very nice hard surface and keeps the rust away until one of the guys puts wet wood on it and leaves it there over night.
Sad
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-11-2018, 07:44 PM)Cian Wrote: Wow.  Every time you take it off the saw?  
Eek   Apparently, my blade hygiene is pathetic. 
Crazy
Slap

Yup. But its not like I made 2-3 cuts.....ill make hundreds of cuts then remove the blade to change operations, again, batch work. 

Years ago I did nothing, maybe once every six months I would do the "soak in stuff and wipe it off" method. One time I noticed how well it cut after cleaning and then I did some research, and what I found made a ton of sense. 

Pitch buildup (even a tiny amount that you wouldn't notice without looking for it) increases heat and friction, thus making the cut harder and rougher. I asked my sharpener about it and they agreed. They say most hobbyists that bring in blades that are "dull" just need to be cleaned in most cases. They said with the premium carbide blades they make now, it takes a lot to get them dull to the point of needing sharpening, especially is you are a DIY hobbyist type. 

My blades are used 5 days a week and it takes between 5-6 months to get to that point. If I was doing a half dozen projects a year like most  hobbyists it should take years to need a sharpening if the blades are clean.  

I hand sharpen most of my router bits, and always make sure to clean them before sharpening now as well. Half the time thats all that was needed.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(07-12-2018, 07:39 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Yup. But its not like I made 2-3 cuts.....ill make hundreds of cuts then remove the blade to change operations, again, batch work. 

Years ago I did nothing, maybe once every six months I would do the "soak in stuff and wipe it off" method. One time I noticed how well it cut after cleaning and then I did some research, and what I found made a ton of sense. 

Pitch buildup (even a tiny amount that you wouldn't notice without looking for it) increases heat and friction, thus making the cut harder and rougher. I asked my sharpener about it and they agreed. They say most hobbyists that bring in blades that are "dull" just need to be cleaned in most cases. They said with the premium carbide blades they make now, it takes a lot to get them dull to the point of needing sharpening, especially is you are a DIY hobbyist type. 

My blades are used 5 days a week and it takes between 5-6 months to get to that point. If I was doing a half dozen projects a year like most  hobbyists it should take years to need a sharpening if the blades are clean.  

I hand sharpen most of my router bits, and always make sure to clean them before sharpening now as well. Half the time thats all that was needed.

Very good points.  Thanks for that.  
Cool
I modified one of those diamond blade sharpeners and touch all of them up once a year. I keep them cleaned with the wire wheel and a round file.