Question(s) for Sawstop owners/users
i recently had a similar thing happen with my dado blade - turned the saw on and the cartridge fired - did not really embed the blade in the shoe - balso took awhile to get it free - then sent it to sawstop - they analyzed it and sent me a replacement dado brake. i only turn off the saw's switch when changing blades.
jerry
If you have a brake fire at turn-on, it probably means you have (had) a brake with older firmware. That issue was corrected five years or so ago. Sawstop customer service verified my brakes do not have the firmware fix, and are therefore susceptible to a misfire at power up, if the two halves of the power switch are not well matched. I requested they swap them out with fixed ones, and they said that they could, or they could instead just replace the brake, plus give me a new Sawstop blade, in the unlikely event one of mine ever misfires due to the issue. That's what I chose, but this was all verbal, and I have nothing in writing.

Carl
The manual says unplug the saw when changing the blade.

Serious injury could be the outcome if the misfire happens while changing the blade.

Simon
(07-11-2018, 07:56 PM)WxMan Wrote: What's the definition of "energized circuit"?

The green light being on, a least that's my definition. Using the master switch would be a good solution when changing blades and if my saw will not be used for a length of time, I'll switch it off. Also if storms are threatening us, but then I also flip off the breakers for that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-11-2018, 07:56 PM)WxMan Wrote: What's the definition of "energized circuit"?

I normally turn off the master switch when I'm not there, but I forget sometimes.  

I always turn off the master switch when changing blades.

I never unplug the saw, unless I'm doing a very thorough shop cleaning and want the cord out of the way to sweep.

I did have one incident with the saw after I left the master on when I was out of the shop.  I was using the dado stack and dado cartridge.  I stopped for lunch.  When I came back, I found that the dado cartridge had released and was jammed against the dado stack.  The stack wasn't buried into the brake block, but it took some doing to get the stack and dado cartridge off without damaging my dado stack.  I contacted customer service and told them.  They sent me a new cartridge and I sent them the now-fired cartridge so they could do forensics.  I never did hear what they found out.

Have heard that happening when the blade to brake distance is not correctly adjusted when blades and dado stacks are installed.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.