Anchorage Alaska
Looking for woodturner that lives in Anchorage. Just have a few questions....can PM if you wish.
(07-11-2018, 10:40 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Looking for woodturner that lives in Anchorage.  Just have a few questions....can PM if you wish.

you would be amazed at who you will meet putting a note into craigslist tool section.  

Google for a turning club in Anchorage.

Visit a local suppler for the hobby.. the local clubs usually leave flyers at the counter.    Ie, woodcraft, rockler, or someone else...

Good Luck
Joe
Slow Dancing..... doing vertically what you're wanting to do horizontally
(07-11-2018, 10:40 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Looking for woodturner that lives in Anchorage.  Just have a few questions....can PM if you wish.

I will look for a club that way from the AAW.  That was the first place I was stationed after I go married and spent 5 years at Elmendorf AFB, AK.  I loved every minute of it.

Bill

I sent you a PM.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-12-2018, 12:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I will look for a club that way from the AAW.  That was the first place I was stationed after I go married and spent 5 years at Elmendorf AFB, AK.  I loved every minute of it.

Joint base with Ft Rich now, of course. I still remember the "Tank Crossing" signs and the reinforced concrete crossing points fondly. 

Here we have concrete crossing points on asphalt roads for snow machines and their carbide spikes.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-12-2018, 01:46 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Joint base with Ft Rich now, of course. I still remember the "Tank Crossing" signs and the reinforced concrete crossing points fondly. 

Here we have concrete crossing points on asphalt roads for snow machines and their carbide spikes.

Yah it was joint when we were there in 83-87 and the tanks were still there as well.  Still lots of Moose, Bear and other critters on base as well to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(07-12-2018, 04:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Yah it was joint when we were there in 83-87 and the tanks were still there as well.  Still lots of Moose, Bear and other critters on base as well to.

Not everywhere you can hear "C47 on final, Elmendorf tower.  Go around, moose on runway."  Also took a loop once for wolves.

For the OP - https://www.woodturner.org/members/?id=23094107
One at Soldotna as well. https://www.woodturner.org/members/?id=23094013
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Biggest thing is all the Geese and other birds in the area all the time.  They used to have a few trucks go down the run way prior to take off to make sure it was cleared off.

My wife and I were in Anchorage for the first time a couple of years ago. Her father served as a flight mechanic and a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps during WWII and was stationed at Elmendorf. He saw action over Attu and Kiska in the Aleutians during the war. My wife heard stories about his service and the war in Alaska all her life. Before our trip, she contacted the Community Service officer at Elmendorf and requested information about touring the base. She was told it was impossible because it was a "closed base." She persisted and was eventually told to make a written request to the DOA. She did and included information about her father's service with photos of him in his flight suit standing by his plane. Apparently DOA has a soft spot for WWII vets. They granted her request and provided us with a vehicle and a guide for a tour of the base when we arrived. I thought that was very nice and we enjoyed the tour. My wife especially loved it.