Frued Dado Set
I was thinking about getting this....never used one. Any thoughts of it? Lots of good reviews on home depot site but I'd prefer some independent thoughts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-8-in-.../100086071
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I have two dado sets.  One I bought for my table saw, and the other I bought for my radial arm saw.  The RAS set has all negative hook angles.  It leaves a much cleaner cut and it is the one I use almost exclusively.  

I will have a look at the box when I get home.  I think it is a Freud (made in Italy).  But I suggest  you look into finding a set with a negative hook angle.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You asked for thoughts, and that's what these are. The "Diablo" line from Freud is generally a lower cost/quality (my opinion) line of blades made specifically for sale in the box stores. I would pass on that set and look up the Freud SD208 (maybe SD208S now) set. It will be about the same price, and is of proven good quality. The Freud SD series are excellent dado sets.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fredhargis, woodcraft has that set. Maybe I'll go next week .

Thanks
I am 99% sure that this is the set I have:  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/freud...GHEALw_wcB

It has the negative hook angle (excellent).  

I have metal shims, and I think they came from this set.  I've also made some shims from magazine covers which seem to work fine.  Don't bother with teh  magazine pages, they are too thin.

Playing cards work too.

Note:  I bought two sheets of melamine over particle board from Lowes (consecutive off the stack) and I made a set of shelves, carefully adjusting the dado set to match the sample shelf.  

Guess what!  The consecutive sheets were not the same thickness.  Luckily the dadoes were too tight for the sheet and not too loose.  I thinned out the ends of the shelves on the table saw.  Matching the location of a dado is a task destined not to work.  

So cut your shelves first, or use a vernier caliper on the sheets when you buy them and make sure that they are all the same thickness.  

There is nothing as frustrating as using good craftsmanship and having the materials do you dirty.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-12-2018, 10:39 AM)Scott W Wrote: I was thinking about getting this....never used one. Any thoughts of it? Lots of good reviews on home depot site but I'd prefer some independent thoughts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-8-in-...H/10008607

Hi Scott - you've already received some great comments - I had a 6" Freud Super-Dado set for my old TS (gave both away to Habitat) - for my new TS, I use a 24-tooth 8" DeWalt Dado set - I can easily make cuts to 3/4+ inches, if needed - several features of the Diablo set are of concern for me: 1) Only 12 teeth on the end blades - I'd want more; and 2) As described below, the set comes w/ 2 end blades and 2 chippers - if all are 1/8" thick then the maximum dado cut is only a 1/2", so I don't understand there claim on making a 13/16" groove (i.e. in one pass)?

As others have suggested, I would suggest looking at another brand/model - Dave
Smile

Quote:Product Overview
Make splinter-free cuts and flat-bottom grooves with the Diablo 8 in. x 12-Tooth Stacked Dado Saw Blade Set. It includes a carrying case, two blades, two wing chippers and shims constructed from durable micro-grain titanium carbide for a design that is durable, strong and razor-sharp. Use these blades on 5/8 in. laser-cut arbors for accurate blade rotation.
  • Designed to fit 5/8 in. laser-cut arbors for accurate blade rotation
  • Cuts, rips and makes dados in wood cleanly and accurately
  • Micro-grain titanium carbide offers durability and precise cuts
  • Perma-SHIELD non-stick coating protects against heat, gumming and corrosion
  • Features resharpenable blades for making grooves from 1/4 to 13/16 in. in 1/16 in. increments
  • Includes two blades, two wing chippers, shims and carrying case
Piedmont North Carolina
(07-12-2018, 10:39 AM)Scott W Wrote: I was thinking about getting this....never used one. Any thoughts of it? Lots of good reviews on home depot site but I'd prefer some independent thoughts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-8-in-.../100086071

I have had the 8-inch Diablo dado set for over 12 years now and it works just fine.  Two blades, 5 chippers, assortment of metal shims, great carrying case, whats not to love about it.
(07-17-2018, 04:50 AM)TRW Wrote: I have had the 8-inch Diablo dado set for over 12 years now and it works just fine.  Two blades, 5 chippers, assortment of metal shims, great carrying case, whats not to love about it.

I have had the same set for about as long and have no complaints what so ever.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks for all your responses.
I have the SD208 and it has served me well. Finally had to replace a chipper about a year ago and had no trouble getting one through Amazon for about $18. Needed another one this year and clicked on the "buy again" button. This one came in with single carbide tip on each end but no "chip breakers" adjacent to the carbide teeth like my SD208. Even worse, from tip to tip was 1/8" shorter than my existing set. No way that's going to work! I'm assuming that they must have sent an SD208C. I returned it with a note (and sketch) of what I was trying to find but no reply. Anybody know where you can buy replacement chippers for the original SD208?

By the way I would not advise welding new teeth on a dado blade. My sharpener did this and one carbide tip whistling by my ear was all I needed to decide that I wouldn't do that again.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!